Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme not auto-detected

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme not auto-detected

Postby ducatigirl on Sat May 09, 2009 11:59 pm

Has anyone had success getting this sound card to work? I read that the X-fi was supposed to be supported by ALSA using Mint but I am having no luck. I disabled to onboard audio, but still nothing. I purchased it because I have been unable to get my mobos onboard HDMI audio to work, but I am pretty sure I am missing something.

I am one of those fresh windows-escapees trying to get used to using the command prompt, so the simpler the better.
ducatigirl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme not auto-detected

Postby JonnyRock on Sun May 10, 2009 5:37 am

this worked for me ( i have a X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series)

go here http://support.creative.com/Products/Products.aspx?catid=1 and select your card. I Don't know why but if you select X-Fi Xtreme Audio there is no option to download linux drivers :o so i hope you don't have this one. If you do maybe try and select one of the other cards and install the drivers anyway it, might work (scary noob advice :shock: ). Do this at your own risk.

once you have selected a card, and the page has loaded, scroll down to 'Manual selection'
from the drop down menu select 'linux' and below that select 'all'. Now click 'submit'.

click 'Download' to download the driver, accept the LICENSE AGREEMENT and download the file.

Once downloaded right click the file and open it with 'archive manager'. Click 'extract' and extract the files.
Once the files are extracted, right click on the folder that was created and select 'open in terminal'.

In the Terminal window type 'sudo make'. Once that completes type 'sudo make install'

the drivers should now be installed. To check if they are installed, click on the 'speaker' on the bottom right of your screen, and select 'Volume Control'. You should now see a new mixer with 'Creative X-FI (Alsa mixer)' as the source device. :D

WARNING!!!!

I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK FOR ALL X-FI CARDS. THIS IS HOW I INSTALLED MY X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series ON MINT 6 and 7RC.

i am also one of them windows-escapees and a linux noob. 8)

hope this helps. :wink:
JonnyRock
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ducatigirl on Tue May 12, 2009 11:46 pm

Still didn't work. I decided to return it. I really need any sound card that works with Mint that has S/PDIF output. oh well...

Thanks for the advice though! :)
ducatigirl
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anonymoustao on Mon May 25, 2009 4:01 am

Just wanted to thank JonnyRock for the posting. It worked for me and saved me a lot of frustration. Thanks for sharing. :D
anonymoustao
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support