Suspend Problems in KDE

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Suspend Problems in KDE

Postby Incense on Fri May 11, 2007 11:46 pm

First I have to say I love Mint Linux. The KDE version looks amazing, and I really have to thank the Mint team for rolling that out. I do have one issue. My notebook will suspend just fine, but will not wake up. the lights turn on, but the display is dark. This works under (k)ubuntu, Suse and everything else I have thrown at it. Any ideas? I have a Compaq is that helps. Thanks!!
Incense
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat May 12, 2007 4:54 am

Welcome to Mint Incense
Suspend/hibernate is one of the more troublesome areas in computing and it is not (always) easy to find a solution. Please tell us more about the notebook you have (the exact model) and which graphics card it has and the driver. Often the culprit is the video subsystem
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Incense on Sat May 12, 2007 12:06 pm

I have a compaq presario V4310NR, here is most likely too much information from the HP site. I did try to remove kpowersave, and install klaptop, which does allow my notebook to wake up, but then for some reason sudo breaks. I forget what the error message is, but I could not get around that either. Good times.

Product Name
V4310NR
US Product Number: EP373UA#ABA
Microprocessor: 1.6 GHz Intel® Centrino™ Mobile Technology featuring Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725A
Microprocessor Cache: 2MB L2 Cache
Memory: 512MB 533MHz DDR System Memory (2 Dimm)
Video Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Video Memory: up to 128mb (shared)
Hard Drive: 60GB (4200RPM) Hard Drive
Multimedia Drive: 24X DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Display: 15.4” WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800) Display
Fax/Modem: High speed 56k modem
Network Card: Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 802.11BG WLAN
Sound: Altec Lansing
Incense
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat May 12, 2007 1:45 pm

but then for some reason sudo breaks.

What do you mean? Sudo does not break - hopefully. Installation of klaptop fails, is that wat happens?
Do you know from experience that klaptop works?
Try to install it again and post the error message.
Anyway, part of the explanation can be found in the fact that you have shared video memory, i.e. your video system has no memory of its own, but "steals" from normal memory.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Incense on Sat May 12, 2007 6:46 pm

LOL, of course because I asked for help, the problem did not occure. I did a fresh install, suspend still didn't work, installed klaptop, open office... everything I did before, and the system is working great. I still don't know why kpowersave won't restore. It's works just fine on kubuntu and SUSE.

My SUDO issue did not occure. My error was something to the effect that I was no longer authorized to use SU, and lost my admin access on the system. I tried to add my profile in SUDO, and it wouldn't stick. Everything works great now though. Thanks for your help. It's a great distro!
Incense
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support