Wine - Graphical Errors with 3d, graphics card?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Wine - Graphical Errors with 3d, graphics card?

Postby IcyGamma on Mon May 11, 2009 2:14 am

I installed WINE and also tried the commercial alternative CrossOver but on both any games that use DirectX graphics seem to fail on me. Messed up graphics, glitches, unreadable text. Its terrible! I am on a MacBook and I think my graphics card is an Intel GMA 950 chipset or one similar. Yes, they are terrible graphics cards. But the confusing thing is all other distros have run my games fine with WINE, including Ubuntu. It makes little sense. What should I do? Do I need to install a driver, or do I need to get hold of DirectX. Its very strange.
Linux Mint was the first distribution of Linux that I felt comfortable with using, over Fedora, OpenSuse, and even Ubuntu. Linux Mint has released me from the grasps of MicroSoft - finally. I recommend anyone interested in Linux to test Mint first.
IcyGamma
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wine - Graphical Errors with 3d, graphics card?

Postby Acid_1 on Mon May 11, 2009 1:53 pm

If it's Cedega/CrossOver you should post on their site. I recommend Cedega if you're interested in gaming. Apparently they have better game support, but don't take my word on it. However, often times there are tutorials on WINE's website in order to get games to run, as well as a compatability list.
Last edited by Acid_1 on Mon May 11, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby IcyGamma on Mon May 11, 2009 6:20 pm

Hmm, ok. I am going to browse the WINE website. I will report back if I find an answer in case anyone else has a similar problem.
Linux Mint was the first distribution of Linux that I felt comfortable with using, over Fedora, OpenSuse, and even Ubuntu. Linux Mint has released me from the grasps of MicroSoft - finally. I recommend anyone interested in Linux to test Mint first.
IcyGamma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby amla on Tue May 12, 2009 7:30 am

I have succesfully ran quite many games using Wine (with a NVidia card, ATI stuff is awful for this purpose, don't know Intel), so I suggest you:

1) Install the latest Wine release (as official Ubuntu repository contains a rather old stable version). You may want to add the latest release repository found here: http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

2) Check if your program is supported (http://appdb.winehq.org). This is only a quick reference place to check as it is maintained by Wine users and likely it does not contain latest releases tests.

3) Subscribe to http://bugs.winehq.org and report any bug you may find (I highly recommend this). This site is directly maintained by Wine developers and they often deliver a quick response to most problems as long as you send proper reports.
amla
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Acid_1 on Tue May 12, 2009 11:27 am

[quote="amla"]I have succesfully ran quite many games using Wine (with a NVidia card, ATI stuff is awful for this purpose, don't know Intel)[quote]

Hehe, when isn't ATI aweful? (I just like it :P). But I use an integrated Intel on my craptop. It plays Civ4 under Windows fine, and though you can set it up under WINE I never bothered to (I mean if you have a legit copy of Windows anyways, why not?). But for simpler/older (2005~) games, Intel seems to work okay.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Hardware Support