New 7 RC install - should I use ATI proprietary drivers?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

New 7 RC install - should I use ATI proprietary drivers?

Postby dkazaz on Tue May 12, 2009 7:02 am

Hi All,

I just installed Mint 7 RC x86 on my desktop (specs: Intel Quad 2.5GHz, 4G RAM, Asus P45 mobo, ATI HD 3650, 3 SATA drives).
So far I have a great experience with it, especially in multimedia. Picture quality on watching HD and SD video is phenomenal compared to my Ubuntu jaunty x64 installation.
Admittedly I configured ubuntu differently, downloading codecs from medibuntu and activating the ATI proprietary drivers and compiz.

I have kept my Mint install pristine except for a few small utils, because video is so good here and was so bad on my ubuntu that I didn't want to break what works well.

Here's where I need your advice: Should I risk activating the latest ATI proprietary drivers? Theoretically they should be better for video and also enable compiz, but if it means screwing anything up I'll hold off until a quality driver is released (should be here by 2023 :lol: )

Has anyone had a good experience with 7 RC and the ATI drivers? And which version did you use? On ubuntu I activated the driver the OS suggested and it seemed to install catalyst v8.6, but I believe the latest version published by is 9.4.
Desktop: Intel Quad 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Asus P45, nVidia GT220, Mint, Ubuntu, Win7, x64
HTPC: AMD AthlonX2 5600+, 4GB RAM, Gigabyte AMD770, ATI HD5450, Vista x86
dkazaz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New 7 RC install - should I use ATI proprietary drivers?

Postby Acid_1 on Tue May 12, 2009 11:47 am

Well I don't have experience with ATI and Mint, or ATI at all, however I think you should install it, and just rollback if it doesn't work and continue to use VESA.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby emorrp1 on Tue May 12, 2009 11:51 am

I'd go for the opposite. If you're happy with the graphics performance, stick with opensource. If after a while you start to notice little annoyances, feel free to try out the proprietary version, you can always roll back, as Acid_1 points out. I'm currently using the opensource drivers, because ATI have dropped support for my card, and it's much easier to set up dual screens than using catalyst.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby dkazaz on Tue May 12, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm inclined to do that - hold off that is until I hear wonderful things about the proprietary drivers. I've read a lot of horror stories on the ubuntu forums about people who installed ATI drivers, screwed up their system so badly they ended up reformatting and reinstalling. Of course I haven't tried Envy, and I'm really keen to do that - maybe I'll install an extra test partition to play around with!
Desktop: Intel Quad 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Asus P45, nVidia GT220, Mint, Ubuntu, Win7, x64
HTPC: AMD AthlonX2 5600+, 4GB RAM, Gigabyte AMD770, ATI HD5450, Vista x86
dkazaz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby heavylifter on Mon May 18, 2009 6:53 am

I installed the ATI drivers in Felicia and had a lot of problems with screen lockups in a number of browsers, tv did not display properly and video in Totem was hesitant. Took me a while to narrow it down but I removed the proprietary drivers and all the problems went away.
heavylifter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mahutchinson on Fri May 22, 2009 9:06 am

I've tried installing nvidia drivers several times and every time they've crashed the system. Haven't tried the new RC but am not inclined to try again.
Asus P5B, Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 1.86GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, Hitachi DeskStar 1TB SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache, Maxtor 160GB, WD 320GB My Book, Linksys WRT54G, OCZ 2x1GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Platinum XTC, Windows 7 Home x86, Linux Mint x86,
mahutchinson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenathos on Fri May 22, 2009 9:28 am

My suggestion is to stick with the open-source drivers. Thus far, I have never needed any of the proprietary drivers for any of my personal machines. Granted, I do not need any of the super-deluxe, whiz-bang, Compiz eye-candy effects. I prefer my machines to be solidly reliable as much as possible.
Debian 7 with GNOME 64-bit
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Tomusa on Mon May 25, 2009 7:05 am

hello everyone, i am new here and enjoy using mint very much ( great Linux distro ! ) this is my first post to any forum, i have used mint 5.0 and just install mint7 RC1 fresh install and i am getting strange lines on the right hand side in any window i am using (Firefox, file browser etc..etc), i didn't have this in 5.0 ( didn't try 6.0 ) noticed 5.0 auto installing ATI drivers ( 7 didn't )
hope this info helps, not sure what other info you may need...this is the only thing i have found with the RC1, everything else is working great...

UPDATE : This is also happening in ubuntu 9.04 32 and 64 bit
Tomusa
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support