New 7 RC install - should I use ATI proprietary drivers?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dkazaz

New 7 RC install - should I use ATI proprietary drivers?

Post by dkazaz »

Hi All,

I just installed Mint 7 RC x86 on my desktop (specs: Intel Quad 2.5GHz, 4G RAM, Asus P45 mobo, ATI HD 3650, 3 SATA drives).
So far I have a great experience with it, especially in multimedia. Picture quality on watching HD and SD video is phenomenal compared to my Ubuntu jaunty x64 installation.
Admittedly I configured ubuntu differently, downloading codecs from medibuntu and activating the ATI proprietary drivers and compiz.

I have kept my Mint install pristine except for a few small utils, because video is so good here and was so bad on my ubuntu that I didn't want to break what works well.

Here's where I need your advice: Should I risk activating the latest ATI proprietary drivers? Theoretically they should be better for video and also enable compiz, but if it means screwing anything up I'll hold off until a quality driver is released (should be here by 2023 :lol: )

Has anyone had a good experience with 7 RC and the ATI drivers? And which version did you use? On ubuntu I activated the driver the OS suggested and it seemed to install catalyst v8.6, but I believe the latest version published by is 9.4.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New 7 RC install - should I use ATI proprietary drivers?

Post by Acid_1 »

Well I don't have experience with ATI and Mint, or ATI at all, however I think you should install it, and just rollback if it doesn't work and continue to use VESA.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I'd go for the opposite. If you're happy with the graphics performance, stick with opensource. If after a while you start to notice little annoyances, feel free to try out the proprietary version, you can always roll back, as Acid_1 points out. I'm currently using the opensource drivers, because ATI have dropped support for my card, and it's much easier to set up dual screens than using catalyst.
dkazaz

Post by dkazaz »

I'm inclined to do that - hold off that is until I hear wonderful things about the proprietary drivers. I've read a lot of horror stories on the ubuntu forums about people who installed ATI drivers, screwed up their system so badly they ended up reformatting and reinstalling. Of course I haven't tried Envy, and I'm really keen to do that - maybe I'll install an extra test partition to play around with!
heavylifter

Post by heavylifter »

I installed the ATI drivers in Felicia and had a lot of problems with screen lockups in a number of browsers, tv did not display properly and video in Totem was hesitant. Took me a while to narrow it down but I removed the proprietary drivers and all the problems went away.
mahutchinson

Post by mahutchinson »

I've tried installing nvidia drivers several times and every time they've crashed the system. Haven't tried the new RC but am not inclined to try again.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

My suggestion is to stick with the open-source drivers. Thus far, I have never needed any of the proprietary drivers for any of my personal machines. Granted, I do not need any of the super-deluxe, whiz-bang, Compiz eye-candy effects. I prefer my machines to be solidly reliable as much as possible.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “Hardware Support”