Fn-Key`s on Samsung NC10

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Fn-Key`s on Samsung NC10

Postby WarHamster on Fri May 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi everyone,

three days ago i got my new Samsung NC10 and installed Mint 6 (2.6.27-7) immediately.
Had to spend some time to get things like wifi working, but thanks to madwifi it does now.
Now i have the Problem, that i can't get the Fn-Keys to work properly. I managed to bind the functions like brighntess adjustment etc to Mod4 + xx, so i know things could work fine.
But the Fn-Keys don´t Trigger any key events using xev-program.
So i tried to assign keycodes to the keys manually with setkeycodes <scancode> <keycode>.
At first, that seemed to work fine, but now the ultimate problem:
Those manually set keys don´t seem to produce a proper keyReleased event, so they don´t stop triggering keyPressedEvents.
Using showkey -s i discovered, that those keys produce the KeyPressed & the KeyReleased Event at the same time, while standard keys (e.g. 'a') trigger keyPressed events as long as i hold, and one releasedEvent when i release the button.
Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks in advance
Warhamster
WarHamster
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Fn-Key`s on Samsung NC10

Postby Husse on Sat May 16, 2009 5:16 pm

You don't tell us which edition you use but if it's main you set keyboard shortcuts in - well Keyboard shortcuts
If you want to add new keyboard shortcuts that's done in gconf-editor
I think this post describes the procedure well
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20529&p=127997&hilit=keyboard+shortcuts+gconf+editor#p127997
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby WarHamster on Sun May 17, 2009 7:11 am

Hello again,
yes i´m using the main edition, sorry i didn´t say so before.
However, i think i didn´t explain right, what the problem is.
I´m able to set customized shortcuts.
My problem is, that there are keys on my keyboard which don´t produce xev-readable key-events, meaning the have no keycode, e.g. Fn + Up, which should increase display brightness.
Using dmesg i discovered that those keys produce scancodes - Fn+Up produces scancode e003 i think.
So, to use those keys i have to assign a keycode to it, what i was trying to do with setkeycodes (e.g. setkeycodes e003 30).
After that Mint should recognize Fn+Up as 'a'.
Well it does, but in fact it does not stop to do that, so i get in my console aaaaaaaaaaa.... until i press backspace to stop that.
Furthermore i discovered using showkeys -s, that Fn+Up produces the pressed & released event at the same time - wether im holding it or not - while a regular key like 'a' produces
pressed events as long as i´m holding it, and when i release it one released event, and the input stops.
So my question is, has anyone ever had a similar problem, and if so, was it a solvable problem?

Thanks in advance
WarHamster
WarHamster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun May 17, 2009 9:55 am

Well it does, but in fact it does not stop to do that, so i get in my console aaaaaaaaaaa.... until i press backspace to stop that.

That may explain why I have seen reports that brightness (I think it was brightness) goes all the way up or down with one keystroke and in some cases the laptop is locked and nothing more than a reboot is left
I tried to find a topic about this were I found some at least partial solution but I don't find it - I write so many posts that it is soon "deep down"
It may also be a kernel issue but I've honestly not (until now) met someone that has made such a deep analysis of the problem
Problems with Fn keys are unfortunately not too uncommon
The only thing I get from dmesg | grep key is " [ 4.809050] Fixing up Logitech keyboard report descriptor "
xev and events produce nothing and showkey results in " Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console " so I can't really test this
I am not sure but I think we managed to solve the problem with brightness goes all the way up or down with one keystroke
I think that was on one or more Dell laptops - on the other hand it may have been the almost locked keyboard problem that was solved
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby WarHamster on Sun May 17, 2009 11:46 am

Dmesg is only showing usable data, when you press one of those unassigned keys like fn+up. Do that and type dmesg after that, it will say:

"[ 166.257796] atkbd.c: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x88 on isa0060/serio0).
[ 166.257822] atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e008 <keycode>' to make it known"

For testing i type:
sudo setkeycodes e008 30 (this tells the kernel pressing Fn+Up means 'a')
To use (sudo) showkey -s (which should show you the scan codes) you have to go to the console (not x-console) by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1.
Funny thing about that is, it shows only scancodes of keys, which have a keycode assigned to them.
Output of showkey (pressing Fn+Up once )
"keycode 30 press"
showkey (pressing 'a' once)
"keycode 30 press"
"keycode 30 release"

Same thing with showkey -s (to get Scancodes):
pressing Fn+Up once
"0x1e"
pressing a once
"0x1e 0x9e"
So this key obviously sends a second scancode when released.
Maybe this is to deep in the kernel and by that just not fixable...
WarHamster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun May 17, 2009 12:28 pm

From man setkeycodes
The keycodes of X have nothing to do with those of Linux. Unusual keys
can be made visible under Linux, but not under X.

I interpret that as what you see in a "real terminal" (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and in X are two different things - there are two different sets - but I may be wrong
I saw this and yet I tried to use the gnome terminal for it.... :?
Furthermore (from the same source)
In 2.6 kernels raw mode, or scancode mode, is not very raw at all. The
code returned by showkey -s will change after use of setkeycodes. A
kernel bug. See also showkey(1).

This makes it rather complicated
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby WarHamster on Wed May 20, 2009 4:55 am

Hm the ubuntu netbook remix is using the Fn-Keys correctly.
I guess it isn't possible to retrieve the keyboard modules from ubuntu and install it on mint, is it?
WarHamster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 am

It might be possible, but I think they are there already....
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby arcturus on Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Just like to report that there is no issue at all with Fn+key (brightness, volume, battery, mute etc.) using Mint 7 on my Samsung NC10 netbook so maybe it is fixed. :)
arcturus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support