Upgrading Laptop CPU

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Upgrading Laptop CPU

Postby AndyP79 on Thu May 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi All,
i currently have a new Compaq Presario CQ60. It came with a AMD Semperon processor. I check with AMD and they say it is a 64 bit, and that 32 bit will run no problem. I checked with Compaq, and they are hesitant to say I can upgrade my CPU, but they do offer the exact same notebook, just with a AMD Athalon dual core. AMD says that it would be a S1 socket, and that the Athalon should work as long as I have the BIOS upgraded. Checked back with coinkmpaq, and they say that the BIOS upgrade is a cover all for ALL AMD processors. AMD says I should be able to put in a Turion 64 bit Dual core no problem, as long as it an S1 socket.
So........ Now on to ya'll, what do you think? Has anyone done this, replaced their CPU in a laptop? I would really like to add one that is faster, as I already added a 500GiB hard drive, and want to put 4GiB of ram in and have a smoking fast work machine.
The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!
AndyP79
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Upgrading Laptop CPU

Postby Husse on Sat May 23, 2009 4:42 pm

I definitely don't intend to be rude but I think you should only do this if you don't have to ask (if you know enough)
There is so much involved here - socket, BIOS, the risk to damage something and possibly more that I would not do it and I know a bit about computer hardware
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby AndyP79 on Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Husse wrote:I definitely don't intend to be rude but I think you should only do this if you don't have to ask (if you know enough)
There is so much involved here - socket, BIOS, the risk to damage something and possibly more that I would not do it and I know a bit about computer hardware

I don't take it as rude, just honest. I appreciate the feedback on it. It is a new computer, so I would not want to jeopardize breaking something that I paid all the money for. I think I might check with an IT friend of mine, who build computers for a living, to see if he might take it on. Sounds like it might be worth paying for the professional hands.
Thanks
The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!
AndyP79
Level 3
Level 3

Postby exploder on Mon May 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Laptops are pretty fragile and extreme care should be taken when working on them. Updating the BIOS can be risky too! If you want to do this type of upgrade, take it to a computer shop that has trained professionals that guarantee their work. Laptops are expensive and you do not want to risk your investment with just anybody.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Hardware Support