a couple of graphics questions

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 1:38 pm

I was wondering how do i determine which graphics card and drivers i have. also how to tell if 3D acceleration is enabled or not. Thanks in advance!
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri May 29, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi,

You can
Code: Select all
lspci
in terminal to find out your graphics card (among many other things)
For me
Code: Select all
lspci | grep VGA
specifically lists my graphics card but that may not necessarily work for you.

Also a good terminal tool is inxi, it may be installed by default in LM7, but maybe not in LM6. Once it is installed, you can run something like
Code: Select all
inxi -v 5
to list a lot of info on your PC.
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 3:09 pm

proxima_centauri wrote:Hi,

You can
Code: Select all
lspci
in terminal to find out your graphics card (among many other things)
For me
Code: Select all
lspci | grep VGA
specifically lists my graphics card but that may not necessarily work for you.

Also a good terminal tool is inxi, it may be installed by default in LM7, but maybe not in LM6. Once it is installed, you can run something like
Code: Select all
inxi -v 5
to list a lot of info on your PC.


Hey thanks for the info. So if i see something like this: "Graphics: Card ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE) X.Org 1.6.0 Res 1280x800@59.8hz". does that mean a driver is installed and 3D acceleration is activated?
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri May 29, 2009 3:43 pm

That output just tells you your hardware, so you have an ATI card. You want to install the proprietary drivers, look into the program Envy for an easy set up of those drivers.
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 4:42 pm

proxima_centauri wrote:That output just tells you your hardware, so you have an ATI card. You want to install the proprietary drivers, look into the program Envy for an easy set up of those drivers.


How do i get Envy? I know it used to come pre installed but i don't see it in Gloria.
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri May 29, 2009 5:00 pm

I think it's command line only for the time being in Gloria.
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 5:00 pm

I found it in the software portal. Trying it now :-)
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 5:14 pm

proxima_centauri wrote:I think it's command line only for the time being in Gloria.


I've got it now but it says all of the available drivers are not recommended. Envy hs never told me that before.
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Hmmm...I see Nvidia drivers in mintinstall but if i recall correctly i need the ati drivers...man this is messed up *LOL*
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby richyrich on Fri May 29, 2009 6:46 pm

From reading other posts concerning ATI drivers, you may be out of luck! :cry:
It seems that ATI has dropped support for older ATI graphics cards in all of the latest distributions!
Husse has recommended others to go to ATI, and download the legacy drivers from there.

Hope this might help.

regards, Richard
User avatar
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 9:35 pm

richyrich wrote:From reading other posts concerning ATI drivers, you may be out of luck! :cry:
It seems that ATI has dropped support for older ATI graphics cards in all of the latest distributions!
Husse has recommended others to go to ATI, and download the legacy drivers from there.

Hope this might help.

regards, Richard


Ugh...I can't seem to find anything on the ati site. I'm not really sure which version of the driver i'm looking for.
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby richyrich on Fri May 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Hi,
This is what you are looking for:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx

You may have to read the release notes to find your specific vga card, or you may have to experiment . . :mrgreen:

regards, Richard
User avatar
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 10:06 pm

richyrich wrote:Hi,
This is what you are looking for:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx

You may have to read the release notes to find your specific vga card, or you may have to experiment . . :mrgreen:

regards, Richard


I see one that says it supports Ubuntu 9.04. Would that be the one i want? This just isn't making sense like it used to...grrrr
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby richyrich on Fri May 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Nope . . that is the one that doesn't support the legacy gpu's. (probably the same one that Envy doesn't recommend)
If it was my guess, :?: I'd try the 9.2, as it supports Xorg 7.4, and it was released prior to the Jaunty/Gloria releases.

but, please, it is only my guess, download the release notes to make sure!

good luck, Richard
User avatar
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 10:27 pm

richyrich wrote:Nope . . that is the one that doesn't support the legacy gpu's. (probably the same one that Envy doesn't recommend)
If it was my guess, :?: I'd try the 9.2, as it supports Xorg 7.4, and it was released prior to the Jaunty/Gloria releases.

but, please, it is only my guess, download the release notes to make sure!

good luck, Richard


Okay i'll give that one a try...But now if it messes up how do i uninstall it? hehe
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby richyrich on Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Just click the 9.2 driver on the link I sent you, on the right side you will find some links, the FAQ's will tell you.
User avatar
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Okay i got this error while attempting to install...What does it all mean?

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:2.6.29-02062903-generic; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.WzKRIE
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby richyrich on Fri May 29, 2009 10:55 pm

Mint 6 is 2.6.27-7
Look for another.
User avatar
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby angelbeast on Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 pm

richyrich wrote:Mint 6 is 2.6.27-7
Look for another.


So it won't install if it's not the right one? So i can just try them till i find one that installs and it looks like it shouldbe correct? *LOL*
Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”
HP DV8000 Laptop
Broadcom 4318 wireless
angelbeast
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:38 am

Re: a couple of graphics questions

Postby richyrich on Fri May 29, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm sorry, I was reading your signature and it said Mint 6, now I see it is Mint 7, which uses the Linux kernel 2.6.28-11
It should state what version of Linux kernel it is compatible with.

regards, Richard
ps: I'll be signing off for the night, good luck.
User avatar
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 4635
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Next

Return to Hardware Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests