[solved] Reinstalling restricted drivers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eraemaajaervi

[solved] Reinstalling restricted drivers

Post by Eraemaajaervi »

Hi,
after installing Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" I had to install restriced drivers for my graphic and my wireless network card. but during the installation my laptop shut down (the reason is not relevant here) and I have a feeling, that the drivers are not completely installed. I have not experienced any problems with my graphic card yet, but my Wireless connection is very unstable and sometimes slow, even though it worked flawlessly in "Felicia".
Also, only the network card show's up in jockey-gtk ("Hardware Drivers"). I tried deactivating and activating it again, but the issues remain.

so how do I uninstall the restricted drivers completely so I can reinstall them?
I'd like to avoid reinstalling Gloria

Network card info:

Code: Select all

*-network
                description: Wireless interface
                product: BCM4312 802.11a/b/g
                vendor: Broadcom Corporation
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:30:00.0
                logical name: eth1
                version: 01
                serial: 00:14:a5:ee:a4:38
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.10.79.10 ip=192.168.178.28 latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Reinstalling restricted drivers

Post by Husse »

Try
modprobe -r wl
and see what happens - you should loose the connection
then do
modprobe wl
and see if you get a connection again
wl is the module in use
ieee80211_crypt is probably also in use - it will get unloaded so you may have to load it too - and I don't know about your keyword
I have a 4312 and it works beautifully in Gloria
Eraemaajaervi

[solved] Re: Reinstalling restricted drivers

Post by Eraemaajaervi »

thanks for the answer, but I actually just reinstalled Gloria like 5 minutes ago. The Internet connection was just driving me mad.
Works great now. Next time this happens I'll try your solution

Return to “Hardware Support”