Webcam Genius iLook 300

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PanchoPonceN

Webcam Genius iLook 300

Post by PanchoPonceN »

I can't use this webcam I just bought (Genius iLook 300) on Linux Mint 7. Programs like Cheese or Skype don't detect it although it does appear with lsusb command as "Pixart Imaging Inc.". No tutorials on Google have helped.

If you need more data, just ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Webcam Genius iLook 300

Post by Husse »

The ID from lsusb would be very helpful - that's the one to search for
PanchoPonceN

Post by PanchoPonceN »

Well, here is more info:

I have no /dev/video0 (or any /dev/video* at all). When I connect it, its little green light turns on and dmesg shows it as

Code: Select all

[  711.352011] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[  711.556351] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
And it appears with lsusb command as

Code: Select all

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 093a:2628 Pixart Imaging, Inc.
Thanks for any help! :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ouch
This is one of the IDs where you get all sorts of strange hits
I have to continue looking later and figure out how to get rid of the oddities
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

in the linux kernel 2.6.27, gspca drivers were introduced; so many current distros already contains drivers for most gspca-devices.

However, some applications still don't work very well together with the new drivers,
so a workaround is to preload a libv4l-compat library:
so for example, OpenSuse recommends ........... for using skype ..........
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
if you google search on
linux configure 093a:2628
which is your vendor/product ID for the webcam you get your own enquiries on mint, and ubuntu and then you get

http://www.linux.org.ru/view-message.jsp?msgid=3290795

which refers to the reference you were given for gspca: http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

your webcam is not cited there but the reference above; (partly in greek!) quotes
# apt-get install libv4l-0
which is installed in mint I believe; (you can check through synaptic)

and then
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
and then
# skype
which is very close to what OpenSuse recommends:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
what about trying the command above and see if it will work with cheese or skype:

in this recent posting

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=27154

I suggested one try to get onto the mailing list of gpsca and seek some help from those who are experts on gspca
PanchoPonceN

Post by PanchoPonceN »

Thank you for your replies!

I tried that page (that langua is russian) translating with Google. I followed the instructions there but I had no luck neither. My cam still doesn't work. :(

I'm tired of trying. I'll just wait until the new kernel drivers work normally. Thanks for all your help.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

UVC webcams seem to just "work" .........

Post by pdc_2 »

http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#devices

if you really want to use a webcam, perhaps you try to source the cheapest on this list: folks seem willing to say "UVC just WORKS .........."

such brand names as logitech stand out:
Timmi

Re: UVC webcams seem to just "work" .........

Post by Timmi »

pdc_2 wrote:http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/#devices
if you really want to use a webcam, perhaps you try to source the cheapest on this list: folks seem willing to say "UVC just WORKS .........."
such brand names as logitech stand out:
I've read in forums that there is an issue with Logitech webcams, that the video buffer overflows and the cam frezes, and eventually sound has the same problem too.
It seems to be a problem in the hardware itself (or i nthe firmware?), and apparently Logitech is aware of the problem and may implement fixes in future products.

Any other webcam brands that are recommended?

I own a NE878 which, acccording to forums, should work with a generic driver, but as a windows user who came over to Linux, I'm VERY disappointed that it's so hard to find info on this on the Mint website, so hard to implement an externally sourced driver in Linux if you're not a geek.

Fedora taunts wide webcam support... if this is all open-source, why is it so hard to port over such support? Do I have to install Fedora to get my webcam to work for the end-user that I am?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I own a NE878 which, acccording to forums, should work with a generic driver, but as a windows user who came over to Linux, I'm VERY disappointed that it's so hard to find info on this on the Mint website, so hard to implement an externally sourced driver in Linux if you're not a geek.

Fedora taunts wide webcam support... if this is all open-source, why is it so hard to port over such support?
There are several questions here
One is "why is it so hard to port over"
This is both the bad and the good of Linux - there are so many distros - and that's good but it also means that resources are spread out, almost misused In this case Mint (Ubuntu/Debian) and Fedora does not use the same package format
I'm VERY disappointed that it's so hard to find info on this on the Mint website
Sorry but we can't have info on every possible piece of hardware - and nor does Windows or Apple
Webcams is one of a few remaining areas where support is not all that good
so hard to implement an externally sourced driver in Linux if you're not a geek.
It can be piece of cake or not - it depends on the developer of the driver
I agree that it is a bit hard - it should be simpler, compiling should be made much easier
I guess the heritage from the geeks that developed Linux lingers on ...

Return to “Hardware Support”