Need help finding the driver for a REALLY old laptop webcam

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Need help finding the driver for a REALLY old laptop webcam

Postby ironstove on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:13 am

So I currently have Gloria installed on a very old Asus Z92K with a built in webcam that I have been trying to get working.

I have cheese installed and when I run it, I simply get a static screen and no image.

I typed in lsusb and I found the camera here:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 174f:a311 Syntek 1.3MPixel Web Cam - Asus A3A, A6J, A6K, A6M, A6R, A6T, A6V, A7T, A7sv, A7U

I'm relatively new to the OS so I'm not really sure how to go about this issue. I read some old posts from years ago recommending typing 'sudo modprobe stkwebcam' but nothing happened and the camera still isn't working.

I randomly received the laptop with a french install of windows on it so I decided to experiment a bit and install linux mint instead of the usual windows XP. I know that the camera was working prior to installing mint (most likely since it had its drivers lol...) so I was wondering if there was any way of getting the camera to work for windows. I installed wine so if there is any kind of windows program I can use to recognize the webcam then that would be fine as well. I'm a relative newbie to this whole webcam business (Im trying to set up a corny surveillance system in order to figure out who is stealing food from the refrigerator since nobody is fessing up in my house).

Thanks for any help! I've spent about a week on and off trying to figure this problem out. I've finally decided to try asking the forum for some advice :)
ironstove
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Need help finding the driver for a REALLY old laptop webcam

Postby emorrp1 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:37 am

If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Hardware Support