Installing Mint Linux 7 On An Asus EEEPC 1000HE Netbook

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Installing Mint Linux 7 On An Asus EEEPC 1000HE Netbook

Postby klepto on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:12 pm

I have been looking for a good net book for a while now. I plan on buying the Asus 1000HE
but I'd like to know if all the hardware works on Mint and that it runs great on Mint. I've been
a Mint user only for a year but it is tailor made for me and I tell everyone I can about it. Many of
my Ubuntu-user friends have moved over to mint.

Thanks for all the help(in advance)
klepto
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

try before your buy for an Asus EEEPC 1000HE Netbook

Postby pdc_2 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:49 am

try this link

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-mint ... ll-via-cd/

it should allow you to put a mint distro; onto either a USB stick or an SD card; and boot it in the shop maybe? and see how it all looks: I have put a variety of Ubuntu based distros on to 1G SD cards; which are reasonably cheap now; and we have tested them on the Eee 701 and the 900;

or there are forums for the ASUS 1000HE;

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewforum.php?id=55

we have found the 701 and 900 fine with the hardware: tweaking skype takes a little tweaking

and you could also post questions there;

I have been impressed with the MoonOS: based on Ubuntu and running the LXDE desktop edition; we have installed it on our Eee 900 and it boots quickly and well; the smaller distros offer that advantage of faster boot

another one to look at; that is tailored for smaller netbooks: is Easy Peasy; I have made what is called a persistent SD card: installed easy peasy to a 2G SD card; so the changes that are made are saved onto the card, and it can be rebooted; Easy Peasy has nice font sizes; (Firefox etc is easy to read): Easy Peasy is really tailored; based on ubuntu netbook remix but well tweaked; I found the Ubuntu Netbook remix less good;

http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing Mint Linux 7 On An Asus EEEPC 1000HE Netbook

Postby klepto on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:10 am

Thanks much,

I just purchased that net book via newegg. I have an external dvd/cd rom so installation shouldn't be
a problem. I'll take a look at those other distros. It seems that Linux on net books is getting really popular.
klepto
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing Mint Linux 7 On An Asus EEEPC 1000HE Netbook

Postby koss on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

I've been running the disto on mine since Linux Mint 5. It runs great. Everything is really snappy and functions well after you install the eeepc specific custom kernal from array.org, and maybe some ACPI scripts from the forum website previously mentioned above.

This version of ubuntu really added some more support of netbooks, and it is getting better with every release... but so far the array.org kernal is still useful for easy hardware support. Its not difficult at all.

I use unetbootin to get a usb drive or card filled with the live distro and install from there. Just wanted to mention this in case you don't want to use a cd or dvd.

have fun!
Linux Mint 7 "Gloria"(AMD Athlon XP "Barton" 3400+, 512mb RAM, Nvidia Geforce 6800) Built this years ago!
Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" (ASUS EEEpc 1000HA black 160gb with 2gb RAM) Might as well be attached to me by the hip
koss
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support