odd Monitor problem needing solution

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

odd Monitor problem needing solution

Post by hansencomputers »

Hi,
The issue I have is with a cheap Etronix LCD monitor and 3D drivers. When installed, Mint 7 works fine using the base drivers for video. When the nVidia 3D drivers are added, and the system re-booted, I get an out of range message on the monitor. Somehow, the initial video settings are not working with this monitor. If I attach my nice Acer monitor (same size as Etronix, 19 inch LCD, 4X3) it works, and I can use the nVidia drivers.

I can not set the resolution to a lower value. It always comes up at 1280 X 1024. Not that the Etronix monitor can't handle that, it can, seems it is the refresh rate at fault, and it is always wrong for the Etronix.

So...my question is... is there a file I can edit to set the refresh rate to something like 60Hz? Or set the resolution lower, or both?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: odd Monitor problem needing solution

Post by Husse »

It seems that the cheap monitor does not provide correct EDID data
This can be fixed with modelines
There is even a CLI tool called gtf to calculate modelines - to find out how to use it - man gtf
You add modelines in xorg.conf

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Add this to the very end of Section "Monitor"

# 1280x1024 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 63.60 kHz; pclk: 108.88 MHz
  Modeline "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync
Add

Modes 1280x1024@60
at the end of Section "Screen"
This should get you a resolution of 1280x1024 with a refresh of 60 Hz
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hansencomputers »

I have done what you suggested, but may have made a mistake or misunderstood. After making the changes to the xorg.conf file, I tried starting the PC, but received error message. In the message, it said "Modes" is not a valid word. I tried it as just "Mode" and skipped teh word altogether, but always have an error. We are back to running "normal" again, so it is not a dire emergency. We (my father and I) are just interested if it is possible to correct this odd issue.

I would like to know if you can show me an example of what the file should look like when we are done editing it?

Whatever you can offer for help, we appreciate it.

Mike
Husse

Post by Husse »

The xorg.conf in the link is no good for this case - and one of the largest I've seen :)
Sorry I seem to have forgotten an important part
Should be like this

SubSection "Display"
 Modes 1280x1024@60
EndSubSection
If SubSection "Display" exists just add the Modes line in it
Modes may not be recognized outside SubSection "Display"

Return to “Hardware Support”