USB Optical Mouse Slow On Laptop

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

USB Optical Mouse Slow On Laptop

Postby mdmassey1959 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 pm

I was given a Gateway 7305GZ laptop that I have install Mint Linux 7 on. I prefer to use a mouse instead of the touch pad when I can. But the pointer movement with the USB optical mouse plugged in is very slow and only moves a very short distance on the screen. It take about 3 full mouse pad swipes to move it fully left to right or up and down. I have tried adjusting the mouse settings with no effect. I have three different optical mice that all acts the same. The touch pad moves the pointer the way it is supposed to move. Just to make sure it was not hardware based I booted the laptop with a Barts PE CD. The mouse worked fine. Any suggestions?
mdmassey1959
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: USB Optical Mouse Slow On Laptop

Postby DrHu on Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:16 am

Sorry I don't understand the question..
You choose to use the touchpad (laptop mouse) or a usb mouse at the same time, even though you prefer the usb mouse.

Simplest soluttion seems to be unplug the usb mouse and use the notebook touchpad (mouse), when preferring the built-in mouse
--or plug in the usb mouse and use that, when preferring the usb mouse..

Some notebooks have function keys to disable the touchpads (Toshiba as an example); pressuming that you have an external mouse connected
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: USB Optical Mouse Slow On Laptop

Postby Skar on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:49 am

DrHu wrote:Sorry I don't understand the question..
You choose to use the touchpad (laptop mouse) or a usb mouse at the same time, even though you prefer the usb mouse.

Simplest soluttion seems to be unplug the usb mouse and use the notebook touchpad (mouse), when preferring the built-in mouse
--or plug in the usb mouse and use that, when preferring the usb mouse..

Some notebooks have function keys to disable the touchpads (Toshiba as an example); pressuming that you have an external mouse connected

Obviously the question is: Why is the USB-mouse not working properly?

I have the same problem, so I can't offer any help.
Skar
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support