CD tray going mad!

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

CD tray going mad!

Post by phd7 »

Hi all,
I have been using Elyssa for about 6 months now. In the last couple of days, however, my cd tray has begun opening and closing on its own, without stopping, as soon as power is sent to the computer. I tried holding the eject button in but as soon as I let it go, it is off again, opening and closing. At the moment the only way I can get it to stop is to time it so it closes with a disc inside, and then open the disc with Konqueror.

Anyone know what is causing this and how to remedy it? It the unit itself is faulty, any ideas how I can deactivate it altogether?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: CD tray going mad!

Post by DrHu »

phd7 wrote:It the unit itself is faulty, any ideas how I can deactivate it altogether?
Unplug the power or interface cable or both from the inside of the computer

loose or bad interface or power connections
--try selecting other power interface plugs inside the machine, re-seating cables sometimes helps as it wipes the contacts, you can also clean them with isoprophl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol)

Or it might be a mechanical fault with the tray, cleaning it or the CD lens might help..

Finally it could also be the OS system detecting no media and still trying to load the drive/media
--check the properties (right click) of the CD drive in the Computer icon on your desktop

Return to “Hardware Support”