Speakers/Headphones on Acer Aspire 5050 (5051 AWXMi)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Speakers/Headphones on Acer Aspire 5050 (5051 AWXMi)

Postby shmuel on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi,

Last time I installed Linux Mint I had problems with the speakers on the laptop (Aspire 5050). After messing around with the speaker settings and enabling 'Surround' and 'Front' I managed to get the speakers working. However, they wouldn't switch off when I plugged headphones in!

After spending ages looking through the forums it doesn't look like anyone managed to figure this out... but maybe I missed something.

I'm reluctant to install Mint again if I can't get the sound to work so any advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam
shmuel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Speakers/Headphones on Acer Aspire 5050 (5051 AWXMi)

Postby pdc_2 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:22 pm

we have created a variety of bootable SD cards; that have various Ubuntu-related distros on them:

Ubuntu has a very good utility that allows you to try out Ubuntu related distros on a USB stick, or an SD card;

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-mint ... ll-via-cd/

you could download the latest Mint; (7); try it as a bootable SD card;

(You can even make it ......... persistent ............) that means changes can be saved to the SD card;

Ubuntu derivatives can be created on 1G SD cards; (as they are cheap); or larger cards, if you want to save many changes ........

......... what about trying out Mint, to see if it will work .............

but I think all of these netbooks may need some tweaking of their sound;

http://forums.geteasypeasy.com/viewtopi ... =12&t=1522

you may already be fluent with tweaking settings;

adjusting pulseaudio settings is useful too;

If you go to Sound and Video, and select Pulseaudio volume control; click on the left most tab, Playback

If you select that with no audio stream running;

then start an application playing sound: a sound stream should register; RIGHT-CLICK on that; it should offer move streams; click to the stream you want;
pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Hardware Support