Sound Problem with update

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sound Problem with update

Postby blackhawkover on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:25 am

I just installed Mint 7 and love the look and feel of it. I am running Jaunty on my other computer, but wanted to give Mint a go at it. However, sound was working during the live CD, during initial installation, after installation, but as soon as I ran an update, my sound was gone. I also tried many of the fixes suggested in other posts in the Mint forums, even went back to some ubuntu forums, and to no avail. I did see one person who had problems with their sound after update, so having just freshly installed that day, I reinstalled off the live CD again, and it worked. So, I know that I should report a bugfix for this, but I am somewhat new to linux and want to help make Mint good (and not dread updating) so if anyone could give me a tip on bug reporting, and hopefully if it happens to someone else, they don't have to waste their day off yelling at the computer. Thanks so much. Look forward to more Mint experiences.

blackhawkover
blackhawkover
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound Problem with update

Postby pdc_2 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:32 am

pdc_2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby abhi_navale on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 am

hey
i also have the same problem!
and posted it unser hardware and supprot section.

have u get any solution for this?
please let me know.
abhi_navale
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blackhawkover on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:42 pm

The update worked fine on my home computer but not the one that I was originally having problems with. I am working without the update right now, but will install all updates once I've finished rendering my video. I'll let you know how it goes.
blackhawkover
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blackhawkover on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:23 pm

So I finally manned up and updated. It worked just fine. Sound is just like normal. :D There is no explanation at this point why it didn't like the initial update. Tell Your Friends.

It was also a good week because I got my buddy to switch from XP to Mint because he has a mac at home and likes the look and feel of it. Good times.

blackhawkover
blackhawkover
Level 1
Level 1

Postby matt_ on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Not happening for me, tried all the above and still no sound.

I am running Mint 7 on a Samsung NC10 and audio works fine before the update and then nothing!

Anyone have anymore ideas?
Desktop: AMD X2 3800+ 939 : 2GB DDR : 320GB HDD : Radeon HD 4670 : Windows XP : Mint Gloria 7
Laptop: Samsung NC10 : Atom 1.6HT : 2GB DDR2 : 250GB HDD : Mint Gloria 7
matt_
Level 1
Level 1

Postby seth556 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:35 pm

My sound has quit working too. I have a ca0106 card and it was working fine until a reboot after updates. Also the card is still completely set up in alsa and there's no problem signs anywhere but no sound playing.
seth556
Level 1
Level 1

Postby matt_ on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:50 am

So what works for me is after a reboot go to Multimedia > PulseAudio Volume Control and turn up the volume manually on the Output Devices tab.

However, you after does this after every reboot. A quick fix for this is to delete your ./home/user/.pulse folder, but then the sound only lasts for one reboot...... irritating.
Desktop: AMD X2 3800+ 939 : 2GB DDR : 320GB HDD : Radeon HD 4670 : Windows XP : Mint Gloria 7
Laptop: Samsung NC10 : Atom 1.6HT : 2GB DDR2 : 250GB HDD : Mint Gloria 7
matt_
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support