Mint 7 - no sound through headphones jack

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stabby

Mint 7 - no sound through headphones jack

Post by stabby »

I get no sound through headphones jack on my asus g50 laptop. However the internal speakers mute when i plug the headphones in. Tried different sets of headset, and I made sure they are not faulty. I get this problem on both versions of Mint7 Main and 64bit version, and Mint7 only. The jack works perfectly on Mint6 out of the box, so it looks like the bug is in the whatever changed in the latest release. I tried switching from pulseaudio to alsa and oss and esound, but nothing works. After googling I found couple suggested solution, including modifying some alsa config file. Problem remains.

Any1 knows if it is possible to downgrade the sound driver, or whatever it is thats new, to version that was in Mint6??? I really like Mint7 and don't want to go back to the old release, but not being able to use headphones makes listening to music at work rather difficult.
Any and all help appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Mint 7 - no sound though headphones jack

Post by DrHu »

http://monalisa.cern.ch/blog/2008/09/16 ... asus-g50v/
This is about it with the hardware. Just be careful not to disable the boot sound completely from BIOS (though you can turn the volume down to 0) because without this initialization of the sound card you will not hear anything later.
right-click the sound icon on the panel (far right at bottom of the screen, Linux Mint 7 ), which is the master sound control being used
--does audio play through the speakers only, without headphones plugged in
stabby

Post by stabby »

Yes. I get the audio from internal speakers no problem. Its just when I plug in the headphones or external speakers that I get no sound on whatever I plugged in and internal speakers mute (as they should).

What I noticed is if I plug the headphones about 80% of the way in I get sound on both headphones and internal speakers.

I don't think it's BIOS related, because if I boot from USB Mint6 the headphones work perfectly. Something is different between Mint6 and 7 that breaks it for me.

EDIT: Typo
Last edited by stabby on Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

And to be sure (although it does sound like you are!) you are using the headhone jack, not a line-in/line-out jacks, if they exist on the sound card device

I think Ubuntu fixed this, but it was an odd issue for awhile
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/360181

Surround sound control (controlled headphones)
http://www.qc4blog.com/?p=617
http://www.seopher.com/articles/how_to_ ... r_notebook
--check to be sure

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ne-599930/
--if you want to troll through the sound/hardware setups..
stabby

Post by stabby »

Thanks for the links. Tried all the solutions, but unfortunately none works for me. However I found some info there to improve my wifi setup. :)

Ok, I went through my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (on Mint7) and /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (on Mint6), and compared them. They are 90% the same, but edited the Mint7 one to match line-for-line the one in Mint6. Didn't help, but didnt break anything.
lplay -l give exact same result on Mint6 and 7.

In alsamixer on Mint7 I see I'm running 1.0.18 and my headphones slider there is not muted but can't increase volume. It's 00 no matter what I do. There isn't even a vertical bar for it (it's same with original Mint7 alsa-base.conf). Think this may be a hint, but no idea what might cause it. On Mint6 it's alsamixer 1.0.17 and there's only master volume available there.
The only thing I can think of is to get rid of 1.0.18 and install 1.0.17. I can see alsa-base_1.0.18 in synaptic, but no other version available.
I'm a linux noob. Can any1 please tell me how would go about doing the downgrade? Should I be looking to downgrade alsa-driver, alsa-mixer, or alsa-base??
stabby

Re: Mint 7 - no sound through headphones jack

Post by stabby »

I tried upgrading alsa (base, driver, and the rest of it) using repos. Tried installing alsa-1.0.17 (thats the one in Mint6) and alsa-1.0.20 (right now the newest) from source. No change.

Installed Mint6 and all works great. It's a defeat, but I need functional system more than nice looking system.
When I have some free time I'll try upgrading the kernel gradualy up to whatever version is in Gloria, to see if that breaks the sound. I'll also check if I have same problem with the newest ubuntu. I'll put the results here once I get around to do it.

In mean time, if any1 has experience with similar problem, or an idea what to try, plz post.
deathsgrill

Post by deathsgrill »

Hi Guys, im suffering this issue as well. Im a new to linux, but have tried most suggestions from other sound related posts. Im using a Dell Vostro 420, card appears to be recognised. My "aplay -l" & "lspci-v" results are below. Could someone confirm I am wasting my time trying to get this to work because from my understanding, Intel ICH10 family sound cards are not supported by ALSA anyhow http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... ndor-Intel

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 2
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=03, subordinate=03, sec-latency=0
I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
Memory behind bridge: fea00000-feafffff
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: pcieport-driver
Kernel modules: shpchp

Thanks guys,
deathsgrill

Post by deathsgrill »

Hi Guys, found the solution to my problem, using a hda intel device, I added "options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1 model=6stack-dell" to the end of my alsa-base.conf file. rebooted and I had audio. happy days.

Return to “Hardware Support”