Display not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ingenuitas

Display not working

Post by Ingenuitas »

Running LinuxMint Gloria. I shut down the computer last night, was working fine all day. This morning, when it boots, I get the splash screen fine but when it finishes booting, the monitor goes wacky, I see message: Invalid Scan Freq, and all I get is rolling lines and snow. This happened once before on a laptop when I would use a docking station (same monitor, btw). I have no idea what to do or what is causing this. This also happened once when I installed Redhat 10 but I just gave up on Redhat and went LinuxMint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ingenuitas

Re: Display not working

Post by Ingenuitas »

update: I also booted into a shell prompt and entered startx. This resulted in the same problem, no readable display, just vertical rolling lines and snow, much like a TV that is getting no reception.
Ingenuitas

Post by Ingenuitas »

Update: Problem is resolved. I don't know what I did (if anything) to fix it. I did put in the install CD and I must have done something with it, but I can't remember....did so many things. Now I'm afraid to turn the computer off though.
Ingenuitas

Post by Ingenuitas »

Further update: I figured it out. I have two computers on one monitor. If I have the Linux Mint machine using the monitor while it is booting, that's when it goes wacky. I have to keep the monitor on the windows machine until Mint is finished booting. Then everything is OK.

Return to “Hardware Support”