Empty /lib/modules/(kernel version)/build directory

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Empty /lib/modules/(kernel version)/build directory

Postby theluckyone17 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Alrighty... I've been beating my head against this problem for about a day. I'm almost willing to give up, but I swallowed my pride and thought I'd better ask for help first.

I'm new to Linux Mint. I've got an MSI Wind U100, with one of those crappy Sentelic touch pads. The tap clicking drives me crazy, and the only way to disable it appears to be through installing Sentelic's driver. This procedure amounts to manually patching the psmouse kernel driver. The process can be detailed on this thread, mostly on page 3: http://forums.msiwind.net/default-msiwind/sentelic-linux-drivers-released-under-gnu-gpl-t4828.html.

I've successfully done this on Ubuntu, prior to installing Linux Mint. Seeing as Linux Mint is based off Ubuntu, I thought i'd be able to follow relatively the same steps... which didn't work out so well.

Basically, the makefile recommended on that page is meant to build just the psmouse driver, without building the rest of the kernel. Problem is, the makefile references /lib/modules/$(KVERSION)/build, which resolves to /lib/modules/2.6.28-13-generic/build. That directory is empty. I did reinstall the linux-headers-2.6.28-13 package, but it fails to populate that build directory.

I found a partial resolution by installing linux-source-2.6.28, and built a kernel by hand (I've run Gentoo on my desktop for a few years, so I'm used to compiling kernels. Not an expert, though, obviously). Problem is, this kernel reports its version as 2.6.28.9... and since the versions are different, I can't simply copy the patch psmouse driver over to the 2.6.28-13-generic kernel.

Honestly, the 2.6.28.9 kernel does function normally, excepting an error on boot stating that my root partition cannot be mounted due to extra somethings... the root partition does mount, but it causes the splash screen to bail. What's bothering me is that I should be able to patch the psmouse driver and use the 2.6.28-13-generic kernel... and I'm stubborn :wink:

Anyone have any advice or insight to offer?
theluckyone17
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Empty /lib/modules/(kernel version)/build directory

Postby lagagnon on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Can you not either hand edit the Makefile or the ./configure script to force it to use the correct directory name where your kernel headers are stored?
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Empty /lib/modules/(kernel version)/build directory

Postby theluckyone17 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:50 am

I believe I tried that... if'n I remember right, the patched kernel driver couldn't be loaded. The kernel complained about a version difference (since I switched the build directory to that of the 2.6.28.9 kernel). I tried it again, just to confirm, and it does complain about an invalid module format.

Seems to me the biggest issue I've got is that the kernel source I installed via linux-sources isn't the same version as the generic kernel installed. The generic kernel version is 2.6.28-13. The linux-sources package is supposed to be version 2.6.28-13.45, according to Synaptics. That package dumps the archive for the kernel sources in /usr/src, which I confirmed through Synaptics' "Installed Files" tab. If I copy over the config file for the generic kernel, then build the kernel by hand, it reports back a version of 2.6.28.9. That contradicts the version number that's reported by Synaptics.

Just to be clear, I use the following procedure to patch the kernel driver:
1. Installed the linux-sources package via Synaptics.
2. Downloaded the driver archive using the link found on the MSI Wind forum thread.
3. Extract the linux-sources archive.
4. Apply the patch to the kernel driver.
5. Use the Makefile provided on the MSI Wind forum to build just the kernel module, not the entire kernel.

That updated Makefile is what's causing an issue... it refers back to that empty build directory for the generic kernel.

If I build the kernel provided in the linux-sources-2.6.28-13.45 package, reboot using the new kernel, it reports back a version of 2.6.28.9. If I try to patch the kernel provided in the linux-sources-2.6.28-13.45, then insert it while running the 2.6.28-13 generic kernel, it complains about the invalid module format.
theluckyone17
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support