Cat 9.6 install?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cat 9.6 install?

Postby gitsum on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:26 pm

I'm having a few minor issues with the ATI driver in Mint 7 Gnome 32-bit. It could not play DVD's without freezing and stuttering. I am currently using an HD 3870, but when I had a 9800GT (Nvidia) everything worked fine.

Removing mplayer and movie player and using Kaffeine with the visual effects on "none" allows it to play movies correctly. The "display" tab won't open, but I am able to use the ATI CCC to set up things the way I like them.

I downloaded the linux version Cat 9.6 from AMD/ATI but have no clue how to install it. The only way I now how to install is using the synaptic, a ready to go DEB format, or sudo apt-get install/remove from the terminal. So far that has gotten me far enough, but any other way is completely alien to me. Unloading the FGLRX graphics driver works for desktop duties and movies as well as enabling the "display" tab. But then the visual effects still can't be used and the screensaver is noticeably lagging because of lack proper 3D support.

Can anyone explain how to install the Cat 9.6 in terms that I will be able to understand? Remember, unwrapping, compiling and such terms mean absolutely nothing to me, I am still a noob at linux. Thank goodness for the awesome out of the box performance and compatibility of Mint 6 and 7! Only because of that as well as the ease of updates and synaptics, I am actually able to use and enjoy linux so much better than Winblows.
gitsum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cat 9.6 install?

Postby DrHu on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:33 pm

gitsum wrote:I downloaded the linux version Cat 9.6 from AMD/ATI but have no clue how to install it. The only way I now how to install is using the synaptic, a ready to go DEB format, or sudo apt-get install/remove from the terminal.

That is not the way to install it, since you have stepped outside the distributions packaged applications pool, you are using a later version of those drivers, which may need additional or later support files or even a different kernel version
--if so, this will cause no end of difficulties for you..
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1435211
Unless there is a good reason, there is no need to jump on every update available..

Did you read and try the ATI installer instructions and use their installer
--if so, what happens..
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cat 9.6 install?

Postby gitsum on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 am

I followed the ATI instructions to the best of my knowledge. I can't get it to load the 9.6 driver. I'm sure it is something I am not doing right. I'm not even sure how to navigate in the terminal :shock:
gitsum
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support