Acer Aspire 7520 laptop shutdown problem

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Acer Aspire 7520 laptop shutdown problem

Postby metaphysio on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:40 pm

First time here so a big "Hello!" to everyone.

I have an acer aspire 7520 that I have installed Mint on to, works perfect except for one silly little thing.

When I am shutting down, it goes through all the motions, blank screen, then a click from my hard drive as it stops spinning, then nothing, the laptop just stays on until my battery dies. The only way I can get it to turn off, is if I shut down, wait until the HDD clicks, then close the lid and open it again, then the laptop will turn off, or if i shut it down, close the lid, then open it after I hear a click from the HDD.

The opening of the lid from closed seems to finalise the shut down.

So far I have changed the settings on the actions for lid closed to "Do nothing", to see if that helped, it didnt.

I have tried it on AC power, it still does it.

Not a major issue, more of an annoyance, I would like not to need to sit with the thing while its shutting down and look like a fool closing the lid and opening it again before closing it again and putting it into my laptop bag so I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Meta
metaphysio
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Acer Aspire 7520 laptop shutdown problem

Postby Husse on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:53 am

Seems to me that there is some signal expected by the lappy that does not appear, but moving the lid and activating the lid switch sends the signal
Something in ACPI I think but this is really hard to figure out
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby metaphysio on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:16 am

Right, just tried a few more things, tried hibernating and standby, both work, but both have the same problem, i have to close and open the lid before the power will stop being drawn from the Battery/AC power.

I think Husse is right, it seems to be that the lappy is waiting for a signal that says "stop drawing power" similar to the one that would trigger the switch on a PSU on a standard pc, which is not activated in the power off sequence of mint until the lid switch is pressed and depressed.
metaphysio
Level 1
Level 1

Postby metaphysio on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Don't worry guys, i am throwing in the towel,

I am giving up, after this problem driving me insane and proving near on impossible to fix, my sound driver screwing up so much all i hear now and crackles from my speakers where music should be, my touch pad not working when i boot sometimes requiring a restart and my wireless deciding to tell me that there are no networks in range when there are at least 6 in my area and i had an excellent connection to mine 5 seconds ago is all became to much for me. Back to Fedora me thinks, not as pretty, but it works!
metaphysio
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:50 am

OK - welcome back and try Mint 8 when it is released
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Hardware Support