HP Photosmart c6300 Series

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
draw2much

HP Photosmart c6300 Series

Post by draw2much »

*Linux Experience? Novice
*OS? MINT 7 Gloria
*Laptop Model? Asus Z70VA
*Ethernet works? YES
*Wireless Card works? YES
*Problem?: I have a HP Photosmart c6380 All-in-One. I downloaded the drivers from here. They seemed to install fine but couldn't find the device.

My c6380 is currently set to be Wireless. I think that's where the problem lies. How do I get my computer to "see" my printer?

I think this also might involve some networking. I don't know how to network on Linux. (I barely know how to network on Windows.) I do have a Network setup with Vista, but I don't know how to integrate MINT into the Network.

Hope I posted this in the right place! It was a toss up between Hardware and Networking! :!:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: HP Photosmart c6300 Series

Post by altair4 »

I assume that the printer is "connected" to the wireless router in your LAN so we need to dtermine if Mint can actually see the printer. Try a couple of things:

EDIT: I rewrote this part because I think it might provide error messages which might help.

Open Terminal
Type smbtree

It should find the printer by Machine_name/Printer_name

If it doesn't then:

Open Terminal
Type smbclient -L 192.168.0.100
Change 192.168.0.100 to the actual ip address of the printer

It could be that Mint can't find it by machine name but can by ip address.

Take a look at this HowTo: Network Printing : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28397

The problem is deciding which category to choose. There is some kind of embedded print server on that printer and I don't know if it's linux based or windows based. The HowTo has the following categories which may be applicable:

[] CONNECTING TO A WINDOWS PRINTER FROM LINUX
[] CONNECTING TO A LINUX PRINTER FROM ANOTHER LINUX

The difference is how you would set it up in mint:
Windows Based: smb://192.168.0.100/WinPrinterName
Linux Based: ipp://192.168.0.100:631/printers/LinuxPrinterName

The HowTo provides more detail.
Last edited by altair4 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

If you have a router you should give your printer a permanent fixed IP address, so that when and if your router goes down it won't reassign IP addresses. You do that by going into your router setup utility via your browser. Get out your router manual now - I cannot do that for you as I have no idea what the router address is.

Then open your browser and go to http://localhost:631 and set up your printer via the CUPS interface. Add a printer there and when it asks for device you give it the URI such as "socket://192.168.100.104" (or whatever IP address you gave the printer in the router). For more information just read the CUPS documentation that you will see when you navigate to localhost:631.
draw2much

Post by draw2much »

altair4@ Thanks soooo much! Your link was right on! I now have access to my printer! (I used "The Mint Way" with no problem!)

Now I just have to figure out how to access my scanner. :)

Return to “Hardware Support”