ECS KT600-A Motherboard (Not supported?)

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

ECS KT600-A Motherboard (Not supported?)

Postby MasktRacer on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:53 pm

I Really like LinuxMint. Been using it since 2.1, the last version to work for me was LinuxMint 4.0 Daryna.. 5.0, 6.0, and 7.0 will not install correctly. They work great as a live cd, but will not boot when installed to my hard drive. The same Ubuntu versions have the same exact problem.. I have an ECS KT600-A motherboard with a 3.0 AMD Athlon cpu, 2GB of PC3200 memory. NVidia GeForceFX 5200 8xAGP graphics card, SoundBlaster Live 5.1 soundcard..200GB Maxtor hard drive IDE.... A very standard computer without oddball hardware.. I believe the problem has something to do with my type of motherboard.. The latest versions of DreamLinux 3.5 and PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Gnome and KDE versions all load and run fine on my system... I have tried loading LinuxMint as a dual-boot option, I even loaded it as a single system with no luck... Just wondering if someone else has this problem and hopefully a solution..
MasktRacer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ECS KT600-A Motherboard (Not supported?)

Postby lagagnon on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:10 pm

MasktRacer wrote:...They work great as a live cd, but will not boot when installed to my hard drive.

You provided lots of superfluous information, but not much hard fact. What exactly do you mean by "will not boot when installed"? Did you get through the install process without error? What happens durig the boot process, what error messages do you get? Did you check the install log - if so what does it say? Do you get to the grub boot screen? .....
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: ECS KT600-A Motherboard (Not supported?)

Postby MasktRacer on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 am

When I said nothing that is exactly what happens. No grub menu, when loaded as a dual boot and no error messages.. Windows XP boots up like nothing was changed.. When loaded as a single system it will not boot... The install process looks normal with no error messages.. (I've loaded over 20 other Linux systems before, so I'm not a total newbie to this).. I've used PartedMagic to format the partitions and tried different file systems.. I have tried totally clean installs by wiping all the hard drive and starting over fresh, other times I've tried just wiping that partition and loading to it.. LinuxMint 4.0 Daryna will install and boot on my system.. 5.0, 6.0, and 7.0 will not.. I have thought of installing LinuxMint and then installing to another partition PCLinuxOS 2009.2 Gnome. Their grub looks more advanced with alot more options. Maybe it can "help' Mint to boot on my system.. Sorry I didn't supply more information in my first post..
MasktRacer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support