I have a similar problem to gavinjb with my HP1020.
Under Debian testing I could install it and it would maintain it's configuration after cycling the power.
With Mint7xfce it seems to lose configuration. I use the driver from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
This used to be the most reliable.
[I'll try the supplied driver from Mint because it worked with one of the Ubuntu flavors a while back.]
However, I have found that after rebooting or probably turning off the printer, I need do the following to print again:
0. I notice the problem when I send something to the printer but it doesn't start printing
1. change to the directory where the foo2zjs is unpacked, compiled and stored.
2. $ sudo make install-hotplug
3. unplug the power and the usb cables, wait 5 secs
4. plug in the power and then the usb cable.
5. $ sudo make cups
And it usually prints what is in the buffer.
What a pain. There must be a better way?
How can I keep it active or automate after each power cycle.
[Edit: Go figure. This morning it remembered and didn't require reloading/rerunning: # make install-hotplug
I suppose just be thankful for small favors. ]
I know, next time I'll buy an HP 1022, 1100, 1200 or other more compatible printer.