printer ink status monitor?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

printer ink status monitor?

Postby in2media on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:30 am

when my laptop had xp on and my epson r265 was installed i had a status monitor which checked the levels on the ink and told me which ink was running low or totally out. how can i check the levels of ink on my printer in mint
any ideas welcome
in2media
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: printer ink status monitor?

Postby lagagnon on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:55 am

At this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=351851 there are two suggestions: mtink and escputil, both are run from the command line. You could try them, but be aware that many of these report low ink way before it actually happens. I usually wait for the obvious (my pages start to get lighter) and never use software ink level stuff as I find them unreliable.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby optimize me on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:54 am

lagagnon wrote:At this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=351851 there are two suggestions: mtink and escputil, both are run from the command line. You could try them, but be aware that many of these report low ink way before it actually happens. I usually wait for the obvious (my pages start to get lighter) and never use software ink level stuff as I find them unreliable.

+1

Even with the proprietary software that came with printers I've bought and installed in Windows, I found them to be completely wrong and unreliable at best. It seems to me that they always timed themselves with how long it's been since you put in and calibrated a new cartridge vs. how many pages you've printed since then.

If I were you, I wouldn't expect to find some pretty little application that you open up and it shows you a picture of your ink cartridge 3/4 or 1/3 full of ink or something. At best, you'll find a terminal-based app like lagagnon suggests.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby TwilightGhost on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:37 am

Absolutely poor documentation with escputil, but I finally got it to work with Linux Mint 12.
I had a Epson Stylus CX3810 on USB. Install escputil from Software Manager. Open Terminal:

Code: Select all
$ lsusb

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04b8:0818 Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus CX3700/CX3800/DX3800

My printer was mapped as /dev/bus/usb/001/005...what the hey? Yours may differ.

$ su

Provide user password for root access.

# lsmod

Check for output list for usblp module. If not present, add it. If present, skip two steps to the escputil command.

# modprobe usblp
# lsmod

Module Size Used by
    usblp 17833 0
Check again for usblp module. Should be at the top of the list.

# escputil -i -r /dev/usb/lp0

Escputil version 5.2.7, Copyright (C) 2000-2006 Robert Krawitz
    Escputil comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'escputil -l'
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; type 'escputil -l' for details.

Ink color Percent remaining
    Cyan 81
    Yellow 92
    Magenta 80
    Photo Black 67

YAY! :)
TwilightGhost
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support