ATI x1300 causes numerous errors on boot/failure

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

ATI x1300 causes numerous errors on boot/failure

Postby Link9228 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Hello everyone. Just a quick introduction. I have used Linux (ubuntu) in the past, and was able to successfully get my VisionTek Radeon X1300 (PCI) to work. I recently decided that I wanted to try mint. I was unable to install mint 7 until I went into my BIOS and changed the display adapter from pci to onboard. I thought maybe I could fix the problem once I installed some drivers (that's what I had to do for ubuntu). However, this was not the case. After successfully installing and running Mint 7 off of my onboard graphics card, I was unable to get my ATI card to work.

I've been researching for hours on how to get it to work, but I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem that I have. I am thinking it might be specific to my graphics card. Everything boots fine w/o errors using the onboard card, but changing my BIOS to use the PCI results in very strange errors that don't even appear to be graphics related. I've gotten error messages about being unable to find files and directories, I've gotten errors about bad read sectors, and the errors I am getting now are tty# process stopped, respawning and tty# respawning too fast, stopped, up until the point that I have to cold boot my computer. I have tried installing the fglrx drivers and manually configuring my xorg.conf file, but that didn't change anything. After installing the drivers, I am unable to boot with the onboard card, because weird lines cover the screen after the splash screen. I am currently running off of the live CD using my onboard card.

Can anyone help me?

I appreciate it!

Xorg.conf: I used sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg to restore it to default. (still can't boot with onboard)
Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.org/9545
Link9228
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI x1300 causes numerous errors on boot/failure

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Hello, and Welcome to Linux Mint. ATI dropped support for a whole range of graphics cards (including your X1300) back in Feb, so in using any Linux distribution released after this date, you'll be supported by the open-source radeon driver. Because of this, the radeon driver is continually and rapidly improving, but it still isn't quite at the same level as the old proprietary one (e.g. you might have suspend/resume problems). Therefore, you have two options: install Linux Mint 6 Felicia, which still has the proprietary drivers for your graphics card, and wait until the radeon driver better supports your hardware (you can try out live CDs of all the mint versions as they come out to see the support improve); or you can put up with whatever currently works with the radeon driver.

Now, this discounts the drivers as the source of a fixable problem with your system, so we're back at square one with the problem "cannot install Gloria until changing display adapter in BIOS", which unsurprisingly causes problems. I'm afraid I cannot help you any more, other that pointing out it's not a driver issue (or if it is, it's an unfixable one), sorry :-(
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Link9228 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:54 pm

So there's really nothing I can do? My graphics card has worked on previous versions of Ubuntu (Last I used before Mint 7 was 7.10), and it works in windows... so is it a compatibility problem with mint 7/ubuntu's latest update or maybe just the kernel itself?

Thank you for taking the time to tell me about the drivers (I was aware that they stopped supporting up to the 2000 series in Feb. but I was hoping linux drivers would eventually get updated).
Link9228
Level 1
Level 1

Postby terrorblader on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Hy! Just yesterday I installed Mint on a friends' PC , it had an ATI Radeon X1550 , the system kept crashing , so I downgraded to Mint 6 and the box popped up asking to install the ATI restricted drivers.Works like a charm and he is really excited by the OS!
Before downgrading I went on the IRC channel for Mint and I found out that I either decide to stay on Mint 7 with the community drivers or pop in the Felicia CD and install that one.
terrorblader
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Link9228 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:16 pm

It sounds like I will have to downgrade to mint 6, at least for the time being. I only have one more blank cd though... So I hope it works out! Thanks for the info.

If anyone else has any definite fixes, please post them!
Link9228
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Link9228 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Well, after trying a mint 6 live CD and getting errors saying that the disc is corrupted (even though mint4win and the booting part of it work perfectly), I guess I'm stuck to LiveCD or my onboard graphics card... for now.
Link9228
Level 1
Level 1

Postby beli0135 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:20 am

Because of that problem, I am on Mint 6, and works perfectly. I have x2300 and same problem as you have.
Go to Mint 6. Works!
Best regards,
Emil Beli

http://www.beli.ws/blog
beli0135
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support