Mint kde 7 and nvidia FX5200 card

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alun_sundry

Mint kde 7 and nvidia FX5200 card

Post by alun_sundry »

When I was trying exclusively Gnome versions of Linux I eventually got the hang of installing my nVidia fx5200 graphics card. I want to put Mint KDE 7 on this particular machine now, but maybe the processes for working in root mode and suchlike are different. I have made one installation attempt that seems corrupted now, as kdesu dolphin no longer opens the folders I need to. When I use the menu 'as root' option or whatever it's called, to overwrite the old xorg.conf file, when I reboot this file has been rejected and renamed, the original one put back. I have an 800x600 display still.

I bought a vga to dvi adaptor to connect to the card's dvi out as suggested in another forum but that hasn't changed anything.

This is all complicated by the fact that I have only Mobile Broadband, a modem that is new enough that it needs a bit of fiddling to get going even with Gnome. I have to dump one file in /etc and one in usr/sbin to get the modem going with Gnome but without the same results with KDE, I'm probably being a bit naive about them probably working differently.

Has anyone solved such a problem, or has anyone here got any idea how I can.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Mint kde 7 and nvidia FX5200 card

Post by lagagnon »

Is it just me or is anyone else confused by this post? I'm sorry but I really don't know what problem you are asking help with because you have jumped from FX-5200 video to dolphin root problems, to dvi out problems to Internet problems all in the space of 3 paragraphs!

Please be more specific on each problem and one post per problem only and perhaps we can help you. Thanks....
alun_sundry

Re: Mint kde 7 and nvidia FX5200 card

Post by alun_sundry »

It's okay, I've gone back to the Gnome version of Mint, less hassle.

I had to mention the Dolphin and Mobile Broadband issues as that would explain why I couldn't simply load the restricted drivers, being without an internet connection with that particular machine because of the well-documented current Kubuntu derivatives' Mobile Broadband quirks. Voila.

I'll have a look at KDE again next version.

Return to “Hardware Support”