HDMI out, screen resolution, sound

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

HDMI out, screen resolution, sound

Postby robertmear on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:09 am

Ok, just got the resolution issue on the laptop fixed and it looks great. I still have two problems.

1. I am using mint 7 on a Dell Mini 10 (1010). When I use the HDMI port to connect to my 42", 720p, TV, it recognizes it as a 7" monitor and only allows for a max resloution of 720x480 (lxrandr). How can I fix this issue. It gets better when I run only the TV and turn the laptop display off, but then it cuts off the edges of the screen so i have to move windows around to access controls.

2. When i use the HDMI port, the video quality is great (aside from fitting in the screen), but i get no sound. The sound still works from the laptop, but is not transferred to the TV. I had the same problem with XP, Dell reinstalled a driver for me and everything was perfect. Any ideas?
robertmear
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: HDMI out, screen resolution, sound

Postby Boo on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:30 am

I have had similar fun with my mythbuntu box.
running the of 2 screens off a laptop or netbook normally reduces the screen resolution of the external output, unless you have lots of vram.
that is why the resolution changes.
the over sized screen is called overscan and I have it too. you have to modify the xorg.conf file manually to fix this with a mode line relative to your tv.
here is an example modeline calculator.
http://www.arachnoid.com/modelines/index.html

EDIT: or a better site http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

you will find that the hdmi port is not a true hdmi port but just a DVI port.
In general hdmi ports on computers do not output sound, just video. I have to use the digital fibre optic port or 6 analogue outputs.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Re: HDMI out, screen resolution, sound

Postby robertmear on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks for the post. I know the audio should work, though, because it worked with XP. I am a complete rookie with Linux so maybe with a little time in I will figure out how to get all of the machine features that work with one system to work with another. I am loving Mint. Save these few minor issues, I would never go back to Windows. Gonna try to edit the xorg and see how that works.
robertmear
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support