30-htz vertical screen jitters..?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

30-htz vertical screen jitters..?

Postby Dragonspirit on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:33 am

I just finished loading Mint plus everything to an 80-gig hd, in a spare old Compaq presario... When I returned after adding 2-gigs of music the screen is bouncing vertical about 1/64th of an inch, at about 30-hertz... That could drive someone to "bolt, and run out in the street naked, screaming excerpts of political dogma"...

Changing the screen freq to 75-htz stopped the wiggles... "oh yay"...

Why was it wiggling..?

I'm guessing, it might be a failing power supply.. in that, maybe the fan is sending 60-htz feedback through a defective filter cap or zener..?
Maybe it's a drying-out leaky filter electrolytic..?

If it were a wobbly hd motor-bearing, or wobbly-disk, I'm guessing the reset to 75-htz wouldn't have stopped the wiggles..?

Do defective hd's ever pump feedback to screen ccts..?

What do you think made those vertical screen-wiggles?..
Dragonspirit
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 30-htz vertical screen jitters..?

Postby DrHu on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:27 am

Maybe it is EVIL..

As Mike Meyers said in one of his movies, stretch the sound eviiil
http://moviequotes.tribe.net/thread/e8b ... c350289256
"Evil, like the fruitt of the Devill."
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: 30-htz vertical screen jitters..?

Postby Dragonspirit on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Only humanity is evil... Humanity is in process of killing this planet as fast and hard as we can... It doesn't make any sense to me... We are killing out Home, and we knows it, but we don't stop... Mankind is the only evil.. Everything else is good... The computer probably has a glitchy bit of over-sensitivity because of poor design, and/or probably cheaply made wearing-out components..?
What ever causes it, it's probably some sort of feedback, from the fans generating electricity's emf while they spin...

What would a "faulty motor-coil" do in a motor's operation, besides slow it down, and cause excess current, do to close-proximity data circuitry and streams..?
A dead-coil would probably generate spurious electricity... What's in the electronics of it, or should be, which prevent a faulty coil from passing feedback..?
Too often we claim/blame faulty softwares for hardware problems.. because so few users know anything about hardware, except "it's on, or it's off"...
Dragonspirit
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Hardware Support