Linux Mint 8 and "legacy" ATI graphics cards

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Linux Mint 8 and "legacy" ATI graphics cards

Postby chrisplymouth666 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:05 am

I have a general question regarding support for what AMD term as "legacy" graphics cards. I own a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop with an ATI Xpress 200 graphics chip sharing system memory. The release of X.org 1.6 ensured that the 3D support I enjoyed in previous releases of the operating system was wiped away including multi-head technology.

My current Linux Mint 7 system enjoys 3D support as I have downgraded X.org to version 1.5.2 but I doubt the method with be available in future releases. Having tried the method with Ubuntu 9.10 beta, I quickly realised the devastating effects.

Will there be an open source driver supporting my graphics card included in Linux Mint 8? Is it not about time KDE 4.3.2 became the default desktop environment for Mint too?!
chrisplymouth666
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 8 and "legacy" ATI graphics cards

Postby rich_roast on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:30 am

My understanding is that the open source radeon drivers are under quite heavy development right now and improvements in their capabilities should begin to become apparent around the time of the next couple of releases of Mint, so hang on in there. I'm sad to hear, though, that downgrading X as a workaround is breaking things in the latest Ubuntu.

On a related note, with no fanboyism intended, I'm voting -1 for the adoption of KDE as default DE. I don't really want to start an argument/holy war, I have just never liked KDE and have always preferred GNOME, so that's just my vote.
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Hardware Support