Partition Problems?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Superewza

Re: Partition Problems?

Post by Superewza »

My problem was that Mint didn't install on the drive i wanted to, so i want to uninstall it then reinstall it with just the right drive plugged in. Also, the Mint installation doesn't actually work. It just logs me onto a black screen with the cursor. 'Partial Gnome' or whatever it's called gave me this message:
There is a problem with the configuration server.
/usr/lib/libconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256
I'm hoping the re-installation would solve this problem. What i wanted to know was if deleting the partition would work, if that would delete GRUB too (which i think it would) and if that would cause any problems.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Won't delete grub and when you reinstall Mint on the other drive the new grub will overwrite the old one, delete the partition, create a new one where you want Mint and reinstall it. (Make sure to go at least 10gb though)
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Okay, just one thing. It appears the LiveCD has mounted the drive i'm trying to unpartition, and it won't let me unmount it. How should i do this? Thanks.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Are you using the gparted app from the livecd, never had that issue myself.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Yep:

Happened when i restarted too.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

Unforunately I'm at work and that image is blocked here.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Haha, so you've been helping me instead of working? Whatever. Basically when i try to delete one of the three parts of that partition (one that isn't locked) it gives me a message asking me to unmount any logical partitions having a number higher than 5.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Okay, i managed to gain access to that drive. Turns out all i had to do was disable the swap. So i deleted the partition but now it's just unallocated space. Any attempt to format it just shows it as a partition again, is there any way to make it part of the primary partition on that drive again or should i just format it anyway? Thanks.

Return to “Hardware Support”