wifi 1 MB/s and driver questions

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChiefFox

wifi 1 MB/s and driver questions

Post by ChiefFox »

I would like to steer away from using ndiswrapper for my B43 network adapter, because the open source driver supports WPA2 keys and also packet injection is implemented. I also have another network adapter, Belkin F5D7050 which I think I set that up to use ndiswrapper. But the thing is, before installing the Belkin USB adapter, my PCI adapter (Broadcom adapter with B43 driver) would only work intermittently on a fresh install of Mint. I'm talking like it would work for one minute, and disconnect, and continue doing that. So while using my one minute of airtime, I downloaded the windows driver for the Broadcom adapter (took a while with all the disconnecting going on) and then I installed that driver using the ndiswrapper by going to System > Administration > Windows Wireless Drivers. I think this is Ndiswrapper..? but anyway now, well it works, I'll just show you what's going on:

iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"Office54g"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:1C:DF:16:90:56
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:3CE8-3E58-27 [2] Security mode:open
Power Management:off
Link Quality=35/100 Signal level:-78 dBm Noise level=-67 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

mon0 IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Monitor Frequency:2.412 GHz Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

the Mon0 is how I setup the B43 driver to implement packet injection, in case I forget my password to the router ;)

Notice the TX rate... 1 MB/s

Now i could manually change that to 54 MB/s but I can't connect that way. Tried setting it at 24 MB/s and eh it actually works better on the default setup of 1 MB/s for some reason.

What's going on here!?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ChiefFox

Re: wifi 1 MB/s and driver questions

Post by ChiefFox »

just did a bandwidth test and results: LOL this is a cable modem, not sure the should be speed, but definitely not this slow...

down: 511 kbps
up: 658 kbps
Husse

Post by Husse »

You could try the solution here eve if it's originally for Ralink
ChiefFox

Post by ChiefFox »

thanks for the reply. Doing that it actually jacked up my internet, where it didn't even recognize my hardware, either adapters. So I had to erase that input and reboot. What I did do, is command:
iwconfig wlan0 rate 12M

and that seemed to kick up the speed a little bit. Tried using 24M and that was actually slower than 1 MB/s, and the 54M didn't even work, probably because of the distance from the router to the adapter.

Return to “Hardware Support”