Configuring mouse buttons

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brian49

Configuring mouse buttons

Post by Brian49 »

Please help me figure out how to configure the centre wheel on my Dell basic mouse so that a single click on it emulates a double click on the left button.

I've tried playing around with a number of packages - btnx, easystrokes and xbindkeys - but can't see how to to get them to do what I want. I've also played around with the assistive technologies options that come with Linux Mint, without finding any of them congenial.

Perhaps it's possible to simply edit a configuration file that's already on my system? I looked in xorg.conf and it doesn't mention the mouse, but the device is working normally so presumably its settings are stored somewhere else.

Running Linux Mint 7, 64-bit Gnome-based edition.

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Configuring mouse buttons

Post by Husse »

The normal, and very helpful, use of the "wheel click" is to open new tabs in Firefox - but maybe you don't open 50+ tabs as I frequently do :)
xorg.conf is on it's way out and will probably disappear
From Felicia this configuration is done in HAL - look here
However with Ubuntu 9.10 HAL is deprecated so it's done in some other way that I have yet to find out
Brian49

Re: Configuring mouse buttons

Post by Brian49 »

Thanks for responding. I must admit that the HAL configuration is beyond me, especially as the double-click action isn't mentioned.

At the moment, clicking on the mouse wheel when working with folders opens the clicked folder in a new tab, but without making it the active tab. When working with files it runs the clicked file.

Since starting this thread, I've discovered the "mouse keys" option in the Mint keyboard preferences. This works well and is congenial, once I had ascertained what action is initiated by hitting each of the keypad keys (for which information I had to scour the Web - the Gnome documentation doesn't appear to provide it).

Return to “Hardware Support”