Is there a fix for hd overheating problems?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vidar

Is there a fix for hd overheating problems?

Post by Vidar »

Hey, I've been using Mint for a few weeks now and I really like it. Compared to my former OS Vista Mint runs faster and smoother both in Gnome and Xfce.

I notice from the beginning that my laptops battery life was shorter in linux from what it was in windows. That's not so bad, I can live with it.

About a week or so I started to notice that in Gnome my laptop started to freeze from time to when the machine had been on for several hours. Now I've used xfce for a few and now freezes yet.

Today I discovered one good reason why my system freezes: my harddisk temp is continuously 55-60 C ! And not even in heavy load: basic surfing and writing. Cpu usage stays under 10%. System info tells me that my hd is ATA FUJITSU MHY2160B.

I have googled around, searched the mint forums and the ubuntu forums and I have to say that this seems to be a persistant problem. What I couldn't find is a decent fix. Is there one? Cause 60C constantly for a HD is just to much. I really like mint, especially xfce edition. I hope this can be fixed somehow...should I try helena-rc?

I attached full system info report, if somebody would be kind enough to help solve this problem!
hardinfo_report.pdf
My fstab:
# / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=7eee35fb-6a48-495b-a855-71c3f08f67b0 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=0fee25af-0cdd-4824-a8b3-8673330273ec none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/sda5 /home/joonas/data ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0

Mint is installed on ext3 partition and data is on ntfs partition /sda5.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Is there a fix for hd overheating problems?

Post by Husse »

Your disk is too hot - can you increase the airflow?
Check that all vents and fans are dust free
Hard disk overheating in lap tops is unfortunately not unheard of
Here is a long topic about it and related matters
There is one more topic about this that I can't find - oh well

Return to “Hardware Support”