External Harddrives empty under Mint 8?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaqian

External Harddrives empty under Mint 8?

Post by jaqian »

I installed Mint 8 RC1 yesterday on the brothers pc. Everything went well apart from strange behaviour by some external hardrives. He has 2 x1Tb Dane-Elec harddrives with various files (photo, movies etc) on both. However under Mint both mount but do not show any of the files apart from those that came with the drive. For all intents and purposes its empty but when he boots under winXP both show all files. Any idea whats causing this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: External Harddrives empty under Mint 8?

Post by DrHu »

jaqian wrote:I installed Mint 8 RC1 yesterday on the brothers pc. Everything went well apart from strange behaviour by some external hardrives.
apart from strange behaviour by some external hardrives.
  • Even with winXp; or just from Linux mint 7
What is the file format for those hard drives

In terminal (Mint), check
  • sudo fdisk -l
    cat /etc/fstab
--Additionally which file (media) formats are being used from winXP for those drives?
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

DrHu wrote:
jaqian wrote:I installed Mint 8 RC1 yesterday on the brothers pc. Everything went well apart from strange behaviour by some external hardrives.
apart from strange behaviour by some external hardrives.
  • Even with winXp; or just from Linux mint 7
What is the file format for those hard drives

In terminal (Mint), check
  • sudo fdisk -l
    cat /etc/fstab
--Additionally which file (media) formats are being used from winXP for those drives?
All files appear under winXP, only some files (what came with the drives) show under Mint 7.

File format? Do you mean filesystem type? If yes I think they are NTFS. (will FAT do terabyte size?)

Will post the output later.
themew

Post by themew »

I got this from a great 'Intro To Linux' post - it seems to work detecting NTFS partitions... (scroll down about halfway through the page for NTFS info).

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... w?page=0,1

The NTFS-Config tool auto-detects NTFS-based partitions and sets a new mount point for them in /media. To enable support for a device, check the box next to it when it is detected. Once mount points for all devices have been set, you are able to enable or disable write support on internal and external NTFS devices with one click. To enable NTFS write support on your system, install ntfs-config: “sudo apt-get install ntfs-config”. From that point on, you can access it through the Administration sub-menu.

Hope this helps :)

Return to “Hardware Support”