Mint 8 RC1 - No Sound

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 8 RC1 - No Sound

Postby TwinShadows on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:31 pm

I remember having this problem a few times before, I believe back in Mint 6, and I somehow fixed it there. Mint 7 came with no real issues with the sound and worked perfectly fine. Now on Mint 8 to have a play around, as well as to see how well it runs on my laptop, I have no sounds, at all. I've done everything I could to look for settings that are doing it, but nothing has helped. I'm getting 0 sound through the speakers, and I have no idea how to fix it. I also have a couple other things, but this one is the major one for me at the moment.

I can say that for some applications, it is recognizing the sound card, but PulseAudio doesn't seem to be picking it up at all, and I found no way to even change this anywhere. I can't seem to change it back to the ALSA drivers that worked before. It seems as though PulseAudio isn't detecting my sound card at all for an output device. It's an on-board card, Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller. Everything else though, seems to be working fine.

[edit] I also tried this topic to no avail.

[edit2] Did a TON of searching, even on the Ubuntu Forums. Apparently Pulse Audio is the issue and not the OS itself. I had to do quite a few things to get it to work with my laptop. Exactly how I did it, is hard to say..
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 8 RC1 - No Sound

Postby Fornhamfred on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:02 pm

It sounds as though you probably know a lot more than I do but Ubuntu 9.10 and Mint 8 ship with the sound muted. If you click on the sound icon you can open up the sound.

Hope this helps.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby TwinShadows on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:10 am

I did, looked all over for all that stuff. PulseAudio didn't even remotely detect my sound card, but Mint itself was. (forgot what the command was, but it did detect it)

I had to grab the ALSA mixer, changed some settings, did other edits in a couple files, reversed one or two of them, restarted it twice to finally get the sound working. It was a lot of work to do when most of what I did try didn't work.

I may suggest that PulseAudio not be used as a default in Mint 8 and stick with ALSA with OSS or something until PulseAudio bugs could be fixed. Providing that is possible, since I know Mint follows Ubuntu pretty much directly.
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Postby thetymeis on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:37 am

Hey twinshadows, do you think you could give a detailed procedure of what you did? I am having the same problem here and am considering installing a whole new sound driver. It would be nice to not have to do this..
thetymeis
Level 1
Level 1

Postby linkmint on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:32 pm

I'm not quite sure if it will work for you, but I had this same problem on Mint and even on win#$%. I installed the restricted modem driver and it seems that on this particular chipset it disables the sound card, I just uninstalled this restricted driver and it recognized the sound card again, on win#$% I installed the modem's driver directly from the recovery cd and the sound card disappeared I uninstalled the driver and the sound card was properly recognized again. Hope you can solve your problem.
linkmint
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support