Laptop "Battery May Be Broken" Message

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Laptop "Battery May Be Broken" Message

Postby deafperception on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:07 am

Hello, I upgraded to Mint 8 from Mint 7 and I receive the "Battery May Be Broken" pop-up message every time I log in. My battery is old and keeps about 10% original charge capacity. I remember seeing this pop-up in Ubuntu 9.04 and on Mint 7 but there was always a check box I could mark so that it wouldn't remind me every time. The new message box as of Mint 8 no longer has a check box and I've looked everywhere in power management but have no idea how to prevent the message. I know I could remove the battery but the AC cord has been pulled out before and the 10min of battery life I get saves it from power failure and I don't want to spend money for a new one right now. Minor annoyance but any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks..

Toshiba Satellite M45-S331
Processor: 1.6 Ghz Centrino
Ram: 1 Gig

P.S. Let me know if you need any more info or specs.
deafperception
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Laptop "Battery May Be Broken" Message

Postby deafperception on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:16 am

Found a possible fix from a previous posting..

red-e-made wrote: I found a very easy fix to the "You battery might be broken" pop-up.

Open Terminal and type

Code: Select all
gconf-editor

Then go to gnome-power-manager>notify>and uncheck the boxes labelled "low_capacity" and "perhaps_recall". These warnings are just for broken batteries. You will still get notifications when your battery is low, if you want them.

I will try this and verify if it works.
deafperception
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Laptop "Battery May Be Broken" Message

Postby deafperception on Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:26 am

YES! SUCCESS!! Thank you red-e-made!

FYI, after going to Terminal and typing gconf-edit, gnome-power-manager is under "apps" then follow the rest of the steps as mentioned in the previous quote.
:o
deafperception
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support