Epson Perfection 2450 Photo via Firewire

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Epson Perfection 2450 Photo via Firewire

Postby zenobiaflex on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:11 am

I have been searching all the forums and can't get this figured out...I have a Epson 2450 Photo hooked-up via Firewire... running Cassandra. I installed Xsane and it seems to see the Epson (calls it a GT 9700... a japanese model) but it gives me a fail message when I try to scan. I also have a quickcam stx communicate via USB that is detected, but I don't select it.

I found some similar problems listed on the ubuntu forum but the resolution didn't make any sense... I can't get it to show me anything if I run sane-find-scanner other than the Quickcam so I can't make use of the resolution on Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/112322

I thought I could make use of Avasys for a2450 driver but that actually made Xsane not even able to detect whatsoever. Not sure if Avasys drivers are needed but they are rpm so I used alien (via this forum) but it didn't help me... so I installed both and reinstalled Xsane... have the same problems again.

These things drive me crazy... trying to convince wife that Linux is the way to go but she gets tired of me spending all my time at the computer tinkering...
:-( Not that windows is better... Dr. Watson keeps crashing my XP randomly.
zenobiaflex
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:54 am

quote:
I connected my Epson 2450 using the firewire interface, then added the attached file into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and now the scanner "Just Works".

so you download the file "10-dave.rules" in the post and put it in the directory /etc/udev/rules.d/

the file contains 2 rules in it that can be used. you only use one or the other.
the first rule is commented out because he prefers the second. they both probably work but only one at a time.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby zenobiaflex on Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:22 am

Ahhh... I get it I think...

I did put that in the correct directory (actually recreated it in the directory since I am only good at doing sudo gedit right now for putting stuff in those restricted directories), but I didn't change anything about sg3 so I assume my scanner is not sg3... this is probably why it didn't work at all still. I didn't try the other commented-out rule either but I didn't see this crucial part:

# udevinfo -a --name=sg3

I couldn't figure out how he was finding out sgX since he said someone else found the scanner at sg2. I tried the sane-find-scanner as well as sudo sane-find-scanner like he said in the post and they only gave me info that didn't include sgX. when I tried imagescan -L it only gave me the equivalent of sgX (but something else) for the quickcam. Hmmmm... I'll try this again. Not sure why it didn't give me the sgX info when I did sane-find-scanner... he implies it will give this info, but for the life of me... it doesn't. I see Epson mentioned when I do this as well as the device ID... but nothing about directories.

I was going to just run the scanner in virtualbox until I found out it didn't support firewire... and it seems that ubuntu 7.04 doesn't like this scanner on a USB 2.0 port (elswhere in that particular thread) but it says it is fixed in gutsy... if I were to switch to USB, then I would just use virtualbox and twain I guess.

I also thought that xsane installed sane but it doesn't... I had to do that separately to get sane-find-scanner to work. I'm not sure if I have everything I need installed... I guess I have a newbie confusion going right now. I managed to get virtualbox running and accepting our Selphy printer... now if I can just get the darn scanner working... I feel so close. Xsane can see it just not use it. I don't understand (if that post if correct) why something would install and only be available to root. How crazy... I tried sudo xsane, but it gave me a grave warning about how it is dangerous to run xsane as root so cancelled. I just wanted to see if running it as root would make the scanner work so I could see if the permissions are really the issue... but don't want to do it at the risk of mucking the whole system.

Thanks for catching that in the .rules... I'll run the whole sgX series using # udevinfo -a --name=sgX to see what it gives me, then adjust the rules accordingly. If it works, I'll report back.... I really need to start a collections of all the little things I have had to do to get my setup working. I can see myself upgrading to the next version of cassie and cursing myself for not writing it all down somewhere.

1) sync keyring to login for wireless
2) USB port permissions for virtualbox
3) Beryl as the desktop agent
4) aMSN trick to get it working
zenobiaflex
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:19 am

just be careful to only have one firewire device connected at a time to stop any confusion.

when hardware gets scanned for devices/buses etc strange things can happen.
like the ordering of devices or buses on the system, even on server hardware.

remember KISS

Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby zenobiaflex on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:38 pm

Boo wrote:just be careful to only have one firewire device connected at a time to stop any confusion.

when hardware gets scanned for devices/buses etc strange things can happen.
like the ordering of devices or buses on the system, even on server hardware.

remember KISS

Ahh... thanks for the advice... in the end, the emphasis is on the last "s" in KISS... I realized that I had THOUGHT the epson was attached via firewire...turns out it was not any longer... it was USB. I went out and bought a USB cable... a simple dropin of that rules file... a restart... and presto... it works.

I feel so dumb! :oops:

Now I will just crawl into my corner, learn how to use Xsane... and also see if I can figure out how to get my actiontec router to behave with aMSN....

getting closer, bit by bit...

sorry to waste your time! :oops:
zenobiaflex
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support