Power Management for Laptop Display Issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deafperception

Power Management for Laptop Display Issue

Post by deafperception »

Hello, I am now running Mint 8 although this issue was also happening with Mint 7 which is the earliest version I am familiar with. It seems that no matter what my Power Management settings are, my display fades to black after 5 minutes on idle. Currently, my settings are set to turn my display off on both A/C and battery after 1 hour on idle. I've also tried setting both to never and checked/unchecked the "dim backlight" option, but 5 minutes later I need to wake up my display.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite M45 S331. My only known hardware issue is that my battery has gone bad by this point in its life. It only holds about a 10 minute charge which is enough to save it from complete power failure in the occasional event that the power cord were to come loose. I don't see how that would be relevant though since Mint detects when I'm running on A/C or when I've switched to my battery.

Been trying to watch the original 50 minute episodes of Star Trek on youtube. It becomes frustrating when I want to sit back and relax but constantly need to tap on my touch pad to see my screen (fullscreen becomes minimized every time I need to wake up my display). I would feel indebted to anyone who can offer a fix for this. Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Power Management for Laptop Display Issue

Post by Husse »

Sorry for the late answer - this seems to be some kind of bug in Helena
I have a few similar questions, all mentioning five minutes I think
I have to find them all and make an effort to solve this
Will come back to you
deafperception

Post by deafperception »

Husse wrote:Sorry for the late answer - this seems to be some kind of bug in Helena
I have a few similar questions, all mentioning five minutes I think
I have to find them all and make an effort to solve this
Will come back to you
Thanks for the reply Husse. I am hopeful that this will be solved. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I will post and message you if I find a solution as well
Husse

Post by Husse »

I am still trying to figure this out - so far no dice
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

Check you BIOS and see if there are some power setting there
Husse

Post by Husse »

I found this when I searched for a solution to another problem - it can't hurt to try it
I should probably explain that there is a pretty major issue with the clocksource Ubuntu is using, hpet. This particular clocksource was the cause of my system freezing every ten minutes or so.

----------------
Very short English summary in case **** hit the fans outside Finland. :-) If your Ubuntu 9.10 seems to get slower and slower over time, meaning everything from drawing windows to playing video gets laggy and only reboot helps, your computer might have issues with its HPET clock source and/or some peripherals interfere with it. This workaround might fix it for you: in /etc/default/grub change line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to be

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash clocksource=jiffies"

Then enter sudo update-grub and reboot. See if your problems are gone.

http://jaba.mbnet.fi/clocksourcejiffies ... miset-pois

---------------------------------------
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think a solution or at least workaround is found in this topic (towards the end)

Return to “Hardware Support”