{Solved} 64 bit on 3GB of RAM?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JAHGoVeg

{Solved} 64 bit on 3GB of RAM?

Post by JAHGoVeg »

hey as my topic title says my question is simple.
I have 3GB of DDR3 Memory would 64 bit version of linux mint or ubuntu benefit my system. would it be worth it? I have heard some say I need at least 4 GB of ram to benefit from it some say i only need 2GB. so, I'm a little confused :? I am looking for input from you guys. :) what do you think
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JAHGoVeg

Re: 64 bit on 3GB of RAM?

Post by JAHGoVeg »

wait i just realized it also has to do with the processor.
here is my system info i know its alot but here it is

-Computer-
Processor : Genuine Intel(R) CPU U2700 @ 1.30GHz
Memory : 3026MB (469MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 8 Helena - Main Edition
User Name : boy (jose)
Date/Time : Mon 04 Jan 2010 07:04:45 PM EST
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Lid Switch
Sleep Button
Macintosh mouse button emulation
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Video Bus
HD Video WebCam
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
HDA Digital PCBeep
-Printers (CUPS)-
Lexmark--730-Series : <i>Default</i>
Print_to_PDF
-SCSI Disks-
ATA Hitachi HTS54503
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-U633A
Fred

Post by Fred »

JAHGoVeg,

There are two issues with 32/64 bit that need to be considered.

Computation speed is one of these. 64 bit systems are considerably faster at doing computationally intensive tasks. Calculating prime numbers would be an example. As long as you have enough memory to do the task without going into swap it doesn't matter how much RAM you have.

Memory recognition and utilization is another issue. Without the PAE kernel patches, most 32 bit systems can only recognize and use a little over 3 Gig of memory. If you are doing something that is memory intensive then adding RAM and going to 64 bit can be helpful. As 64 bit will enable you to utilize more memory.

One thing to keep in mind however is that a 64 bit system will use between 15% and 30% more memory for a given work load than 32 bit will. For this reason it is pretty much useless to run 64 bit with 4 Gig of RAM just to be able to use the last Gig of RAM. You haven't gained anything, memory wise. If you only have 3 Gig and start going into swap with 64 bit but don't with 32 bit you have actually hurt yourself with computation speed as well.

To really answer your question you would have to know what your usage patterns are. Do you need to boost your computation speed? Do you have enough RAM to support 64 bit computing on your work load without going into swap? Is you task memory bound and do you have enough memory to support a gain by using 64 bit or will the addition memory requirements of 64 bit actually hurt you?

Questions I can't really answer. :-)

Fred
JAHGoVeg

Post by JAHGoVeg »

very inciteful, fred

Return to “Hardware Support”