USB wireless mouse crashing computer

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mr bob
Level 1
Level 1

USB wireless mouse crashing computer

Post by mr bob »

Hi I have Mint 8 x64.

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse and these devices are repeatedly crashing the computer, if I move the mouse fast or type. I suspect it is a USB problem.

I tried Mint 8 x32 and the problem still occurs.

I didn't have this problem in Mint 7 x64. I booted up a Live version of Mint 7 and it works fine.

Any help would be really appreciated thanks, otherwise I will have to return to Mint 7.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: USB wireless mouse crashing computer

Post by MaddogF16 »

You'll need to explain more precisely what the "crash" is, are we talking freeze ups,or screen goes black, or computer reboots?
Crashing in computer terms is pretty broad as most have different opinions of what a "crash" is. :)
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You could try adding irqpoll to the end of the kernel line in grub to see if helps
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
mr bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mr bob »

Thanks very much for your replies.

I decided to go back to Mint 7 for now. But will try irqpoll when I decide to reinstall 8 and will report if it works.

In terms of crashing I meant it freezes with whatever is visible remaining static. The only thing I can do is physically press the reboot button. It isn't just the keyboard or mouse as I was copying files and the copying froze too, so it is the entire processing.

I've seen this type of freeze before on another computer which had problems whenever a USB device was attached as well as a USB mouse.
MaddogF16

Post by MaddogF16 »

How much RAM does it have in it? I'd suggest running memtest but if it runs great in Mint 7 without issue then the RAM is probably healthy. The only other thing that sometimes causes it is overheating,but again if it doesn't arise in Mint 7 then that's probably ruled out.Only other thing is to run the check media function from the livecd of the Mint 8 disc and make sure it burnt it correctly. How big is your processor?

Return to “Hardware Support”