Intel Graphics Card 82G965 stuck at 800x600

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Intel Graphics Card 82G965 stuck at 800x600

Postby bob on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Trying to help a friend install Mint 8 on his Dell Dimension E520, which has an Intel 82G965 onboard card as identified from lspci:

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82G965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

He's got it coupled to a 32" LCD TV and the max resolution of 800x600 available is a PITA. :( I've attempted to create a suitable xorg.conf but it borks the boot every time. Any assist would be appreciated. BTW, this same machine had 1024x768 available with Elyssia prior to the upgrade.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Intel Graphics Card 82G965 stuck at 800x600

Postby viking777 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Xorg these days is supposed to automatically detect the correct settings for the screen it is attached to. Not surprisingly it sometimes fails. One way around this is to go here:

http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

Fill in any required details (read carefully - not all are required), then get it to calculate a new 'modeline' for your xorg.conf. If your xorg contains any existing modelines then delete them, and paste the one you just calculated instead.

Not entirely certain this will work, because Intel graphics are known for giving trouble.

NB Always back up xorg.conf before messing with it.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby bob on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try next visit with him. Just spent 2 1/2 hours and need a break. :lol: Probably added too much and had one or two wrong numbers there. And, yeah, thank goodness for the years of CLI and vi - I can still get back to ground zero on the borks.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bob on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:11 pm

No Joy, Viking 777. Got back over today and gave the modeline a try, plus a few other tweaks. This bugger just doesn't want to play at anything over 800x600. Thankfully, my friend is getting used to the setting now. :wink:

In any case, if there's any other possibilities, I'm still open to messing his machine up. :lol:

Here's the last (no good) xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"

Modeline "1024x768@60" 1024 1056 1224 1256 576 587 593 605

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Modes 1024x768@60
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Well bob, we are talking million to one shots here, but if you want to have a go then be my guest, I have never tried this, only read about it but I have no other ideas.

Open terminal (and keep it open until you have finished all this), then, in turn with 'Enter' after each command,:

Code: Select all
sudo su

mv /etc/Xorg.conf /etc/Xorg.conf.bak

cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/Xorg.1.log

Xorg -configure :1

The theory is that this creates a new Xorg file called Xorg.conf.new based on the content of your Xorg log file (which again in theory) details any errors encountered by Xorg and (again in theory) your Xorg.conf.new should be written so as to avoid those same errors next time.

There are at least three problems with this though. First it is an old 'solution' and Xorg will have moved on a lot since it was published so it may not work at all. Second your Xorg log file may not log any errors because it might assume the 800x600 is a perfectly satisfactory resolution for your monitor and card. Third I am not sure where the Xorg.conf.new file is actually created. It says it is created in your home folder, but because you are running commands from a root terminal your home folder may well be /root I am not sure which it means. You will have to look for the new file. In the next command I will assume you have found the file in your home folder If you haven't you will have to adjust the paths accordingly.

mv /~/Xorg.conf.new  /etc/Xorg.conf

Then restart X (or reboot). And if that works I will be amazed :lol:

If it doesn't then all you have to do to get back where you started is

rm /etc/Xorg.conf

mv /etc/Xorg.conf.bak  /etc/Xorg.conf

Good Luck - I think you might need it!

EDIT. If it doesn't work you could always try copying the modeline you created last time into the new Xorg.conf to see if that makes any difference.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby bob on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll agree that it's a million-to-one shot. I noticed that there's also some packages that I should check to make sure they are installed, such as xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg , but once again I've returned home to my happily-running Nvidia computers.

In reality, this is bugging me more than my friend, who's content to use his machine at 800x600 , so I don't want to mess things up and risk losing his data. Still....it's his machine and data, so the next time he asks for help, I might risk it! :lol:
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 am

For Helena something like this
    Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
            OPTION "DPMS"
    HorizSync 30-81
    VertRefresh 50-75
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier   "Default Screen"
       Monitor      "Configured Monitor"
       Device      "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Also do a search on Intel 800x600 - there is some bug in some chips or drivers that leaves you stuck with that resolution
One reason for wrong resolutions is that EDID is not read properly and to tell the hor and vert rates is a fix for that
DPMS has to do with powersaving and somehow something with the rates but I'm not sure exactly how (or even if) but it is suggested that you use that if you specify the ranges
EDID = data the monitor keeps in a small chip to tell the graphics card it's properties
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support