Replaced motherboard, now Helena freezes randomly

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reffu

Replaced motherboard, now Helena freezes randomly

Post by reffu »

I replaced my motherboard from a biostar p4m890 -m7 te to an Asus p5n-d. Windows wouldn't boot because it was a new chipset so I booted into linux to backup my files before running a clean install. However after a short amount of time linux froze and would not respond. ctrl-alt-backspce and ctrl-alt-F1 do nothing. The numlock light oesn't change an d nothing happens even after half an hour. At first I thought it mught be a corrupt file on the windows hard drive. However It froze even if when I didn't mount the windows partition. The only funny thing is if I hit ctrl-alt-F1 before it freezes I still have a blinking cursor even though the computer will not respond. Other than reinstalling linux are there any options to try and stop this from happening?

Thanks,

Reffu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Replaced motherboard, now Helena freezes randomly

Post by richyrich »

Sounds like a hardware fault or over heating the cpu! Did you use NEW thermal paste for your cpu/heatsink? Boot to your BIOS (Del key), and check your cpu temps.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

I don't know about any specific problems with switching mainboard, having only done this at the same time as replacing everything myself, but the symptoms described could be attributed to a hardware fault. Advise carefully checking all connectors, jumpers and switches, and if possible run diagnostic tests, especially memtest+, using a live CD along the lines of SystemRescuecd before progressing to checking BIOS configuration and software faults.
reffu

Post by reffu »

Actually after a couple days of looking at the problem I believe it is due to my windows partition which is partially corrupt. I have been recovering some of my files via testdisk and after a few minutes it freezes. Any Ideas why something on my windows partition causes it to freeze? Also I have tried from a live cd and it lasts longer without freezing up but still eventually freezes. I can't run chkdsk or fsck on the partition because it is extremely corrupted to the point it can't be mounted except by testdisk.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

AFAIK chkdsk and fsck require that the drive being tested not be mounted (afaik they don't actually "mount" the media; however it sounds from your description that they're not able to read the media at all anyway which is considered, I believe, to be a "bad thing"), but either way a drive which is that badly corrupted might definitely be causing the hanging problem, especially if swap is in some way affected; since you'll be needing one anyway is it possible to install a new HDD, install Mint onto that along with a swap partition and recover the files from the corrupted media from there? My thinking is that the corruption on the old HDD won't affect the installation on a new one (as much, anyway), although I'm not 100% sure on this.

Return to “Hardware Support”