Partition Weirdness [Resolved]

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Partition Weirdness [Resolved]

Postby red-e-made on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 pm

OK, check this out:

Do you see this? 7.84MBs that are just stuck there. I can't move /home to the left, I can't grow /root to the right, I can't delete it.

I know it's not taking up any more space than a single music track, but it bugs me to see it there. How do I get rid of it?
Last edited by red-e-made on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partition Weirdness

Postby viking777 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:40 am

I have a disk like that as well. Strangely the unallocated size is almost the same as yours. And I have the same symptoms. I even tried deleting the existing partitions and recreating them - it still came back. I just live with it now.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Husse on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:34 am

The reason is that the partition size is "wrong", not to the boundaries so a small unallocated area pops up between partitions so things get right
The partition should not have been created with its present size
But I don't see sda3 and sda4 so it can be the remnant of some deleted partition(s)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby red-e-made on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 pm

viking777 wrote:I have a disk like that as well. Strangely the unallocated size is almost the same as yours. And I have the same symptoms. I even tried deleting the existing partitions and recreating them - it still came back. I just live with it now.

Wow. I'm glad you told me this ahead of time before I backed up ~200 GB of data and blanked out the entire disk before making new partitions.

Husse wrote:The reason is that the partition size is "wrong", not to the boundaries so a small unallocated area pops up between partitions so things get right
The partition should not have been created with its present size
But I don't see sda3 and sda4 so it can be the remnant of some deleted partition(s)

I don't recall there ever being an sda3 or an sda4. I've been using the same partitioning scale as always: /root, /home, swap, then data. I have, however, re-sized and deleted data partitions any number of times.

So, are you essentially saying there's no solution then?
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Do you need to solve it?
It's there as I wrote because a partition is not on the cylinder boundary - that's something inherited from the computer stoneage :)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby red-e-made on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 pm

I guess I don't *need* to solve it, but as I said in the first post, I wanted to know if there was a way to resolve this. If that answer is "yes", then I'd like to know the solution. If that answer is "no", alright. Kind of like the way every other thread about a non-crucial issue is.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 pm

The answer is no
I have had such a little bugger more than once in Linux only and Windows only as well as mixed environments
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Partition Weirdness [Resolved]

Postby red-e-made on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:42 pm

Alright then.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Partition Weirdness [Resolved]

Postby red-e-made on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:16 am

Discovered a solution: backed up /home on my data partition, restarted through my LiveCD, opened my partition editor, deleted my /home partition, right-clicked Swap and selected "Swap Off", grew what was /home to fill the space, made it a New Partition in ext3, swapped Swap back on, restarted, doing a fresh install of /root and /home. Time-consuming, but it worked.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support