nVidia and ATI proprietary driver

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

nVidia and ATI proprietary driver

Postby Neco on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi to all,
I've installed Linux Mint on a USB Hard Disk and i use it with a different computers that have nVidia or ATI graphics adapter.
The problem is that i can't install any proprietary drivers because seems that the configuration of X11 server must be modified for each adapter.
There's a way to use the drivers together? Also selecting manually a configuration?

Thanks
Neco
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: nVidia and ATI proprietary driver

Postby Husse on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:40 am

It's not possible to use a nvidia driver for ATI (of course) but it should be possible to use a different xorg.conf for each driver/card
You did not tell us which version of Mint you have
In Mint 8 Helena there is no xorg.conf by default but if you create one it will be used by nvidia
ATI does not use xorg.conf at all with the restricted driver - you have to manually change the amdpcsdb file which is used by the fglrx driver with the command sudo aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1
So if you use a xorg.conf with Driver "nvidia" in the Device section for nvidia and no xorg.conf for ATI I think you can do it (Gloria and Helena)
How you do the changes is another story which I do not have the time to tell now
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: nVidia and ATI proprietary driver

Postby scott_R on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:56 am

Agreed. It's been a couple years since I needed to do this, and the details are fuzzy, but you set up both drivers in the kernel, create something like 'xorg.nvidia' and 'xorg.ati', then script out something to swap which gets used, as a link from xorg.conf (using 'ln'). The 'dialog' program (or it's cousins) makes things pretty, and drop it into your /etc/ runlevel directory, to start before xorg starts.

Which, of course, isn't exactly a cakewalk, but that was a couple years ago, and there might be a better option, such as taking advantage of laptop "roaming" settings, or similar ideas. Sorry I'm not more help...
scott_R
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support