Newbie with touchpad problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stratprof

Newbie with touchpad problem

Post by stratprof »

Hello, all.

I have a Dell Latitude D620. It's configured as a dual boot, Helena and XP professional. I'm 99% sure I have a synaptics touchpad.

Edge scrolling works fine. Two finger scrolling doesn't work at all.

The only related discussion concerned an upgrade from RC1. That's not my situation; Helena was installed onto a newly created partition only after the main release.

I'd be grateful for a bit of hand-holding if the repair involves tweaking a hidden config file. I'm not anxious to mess up an otherwise delightful system.

Many thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Sincerely,

Harold
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Newbie with touchpad problem

Post by viking777 »

Buy a mouse.
stratprof

Post by stratprof »

:)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Glad you appreciated the humour, but it did have a serious message behind it.

I started using linux 10 years ago. Back then touchpads did not work well with Linux. 10 years down the line and they still don't work well with Linux. Of course you could always wait another 10 years and see how things go or you could do as I do and use a mini-mouse instead.
stratprof

Post by stratprof »

I actually understood the sub-text, too. I hooked up a favorite trackball as soon as I saw your post.

Your message helped me avoid efforts that would not be effective yet would run the risk of harming my setup. I'm very grateful for the guidance.

Return to “Hardware Support”