Hard Disk failing?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
khsbenny

Hard Disk failing?

Post by khsbenny »

Well everytime I boot into linux (which isnt very often! I rarely need a restart) I get a message saying my disk has many bad sectors.

I did a quick scan and got the message in the attachment.

Does this mean I need a new hard drive?

Or does it just need formatting?

Thanks, Ben.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Hard Disk failing?

Post by exploder »

It looks to me like the hard drive is failing. Save your data just in case.
khsbenny

Post by khsbenny »

exploder wrote:It looks to me like the hard drive is failing. Save your data just in case.
Its been saying it for weeks.

What should I do? Replace it?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You could test the drive with the manufacturers tool, then you could be sure of the condition of the drive. The "Disk Utility" tells me that the drive in one of my systems exceeds the normal temperature range but the drive is fine. Your screen shot is the first time I have seen a bad sectors error. I would try downloading the hard drive manufacturers utilities and see what that reveals before buying a new hard drive. Just to be on the safe side, save off all of your data.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

This might help.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

The drive fitness test should do the trick.
hakka

Post by hakka »

Hi all, new to Linux since a few days ago. I've been managing to figure most things out via random forum threads/long pages of horribly written (and often outdated...) info and whatnot, not such a bad club to be in!

Anyway, I've installed Helena on all three of my laptops. Had issues figuring out... Linux.... at first, but I got everything installed and running. However, all my systems tell me I've got bad sectors and need to replace my disk. I've done checks with a few utilities, each time telling me my HDD are fine. Although 2 are older, even my brand new (bought December 2009) laptop gives me this message!

I've just disabled the warning for now, but I'm sure this isn't a coincidence happening on 3 different systems.

Any help on how to remove that message (instead of ignoring) or how to repair the bad sectors. I think I understand the difference between physical issues and whatnot, so information detailing HOW to repair using programs (specific ones?) would be helpful!

Thanks all
jarviser

Post by jarviser »

I installed Mint 8 on my Dell 1520 laptop and have exactly the same message. BUT Win7 scan says my disk is perfect. There are no problems in use, so I am tending to ignore the message in Mint. Maybe it sees Win7 installation partitions as a massive error? I certainly do!
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

khsbenny wrote:Well everytime I boot into linux (which isnt very often! I rarely need a restart) I get a message saying my disk has many bad sectors. I did a quick scan and got the message in the attachment. Does this mean I need a new hard drive?
Well everytime I boot into linux ...
Do you mean you logon to Linux or boot into Linux
--I was about to say, it then might depend on the format you are using for Linux and if it is shared file system or a VM (Virtual Machine) type of configuration. In which case, corruption or differences on the host file system could be to blame.

I did a quick scan and got the message in the attachment....
Note that the message indicates
  • 131,xxx bad sectors
  • 5 reallocated bad sectors
Looks more likely just data read errors, or services that failed to start due to this, not being able to find all the parts of the service and scanning the disk to find them
http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_rec ... d_disk.htm

And the disk self tests passed
  • so I would say no to "needing a new hard drive"
If you noticed for example, that while operating the system, there were many read/write errors and applications were failing to launch or the OS failed to load, then there might be a cause for concern
--otherwise it is a generic message, defensive programming on the part of the vendor to suggest caution ref: the hard drive, they can always say well they warned you!

However, it is always wise to take the message somewhat seriously and take the precaution of backing up your data, usually meaning the /home/userID, emails, bookmarks in browsers
--and perhaps take that opportunity to develop a proper backup/system recovery plan.
jarviser

Post by jarviser »

jarviser wrote:I installed Mint 8 on my Dell 1520 laptop and have exactly the same message. BUT Win7 scan says my disk is perfect. There are no problems in use, so I am tending to ignore the message in Mint. Maybe it sees Win7 installation partitions as a massive error? I certainly do!
I just created the DFT disk fitness test boot disk as suggested above. The fitness test was 100% OK on the advanced test (took about 90 minutes) so as far as I can see in certain circumstances the Mint Disk Utility seems to be putting out alarming and incorrect disk condition information. (1660744779 bad sectors!) .
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

I have heard somewhere that this is a known bug, if the disk utility (palimpsest) reports a ridiculously high i.e. >>100 bad sectors, it is more than likely not reading it correctly and it should be verified with another utility. I'll see if I can find the bug report.

If, however it shows a less, i.e. <100, then it is probably accurate, but again should possibly be verified before running out to the shops!

As always, the best way to deal with this is BACK EVERYTHING UP! Theres numerous utilities to do this, either to online or to an external harddrive for example. If your harddrive does then fail, then you only loose the hardware, not your important work/photos/music and of course you can always run Mint as a live CD/USB even if your harddrive dies, you can still get work done, even if at a slightly reduced pace.

EDIT: here's the bug report on Launchpad about false positives https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/438136

Return to “Hardware Support”