Mint 7 not recognizing a DVD RW drive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anthrogue

Mint 7 not recognizing a DVD RW drive

Post by Anthrogue »

I have a DVD RW drive but it is invisible... not seeming to be there. I found out trying to burn LinuxMint-8.iso to disc. The drive is not in "Computer". I see it recognized in bios... and, loading a Bart-PE disc, I could read files on a disc from it.

I typed some things in Terminal based on some things I'd seen elsewhere. Perhaps relevant

[quoteMonarch-Alpha ~ # cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=68a71e61-6d4f-4a75-a764-f3e5970716a0 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=9c1f3d23-fcbb-44b9-b2ee-56630763bf95 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
Monarch-Alpha ~ # dmesg | grep sr0
[ 3.632174] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[ 3.632277] sr 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0][/quote]

Very confused and don't know if it is a software or hardware problem, given that it seems only Mint can't see the drive. Inside the box the CD drive goes into this DVD drive... then to Motherboard.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Mint 7 not recognizing a DVD RW drive

Post by richyrich »

. .
Last edited by richyrich on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthrogue

Post by Anthrogue »

yes... the bios see the DVD RW drive as Master and the CD drive (which Mint does see) as slave
Anthrogue

Post by Anthrogue »

Please check the pin settings on the back of each of your drives . . the dvd burner should have the pins set to "master", and your cd drive should be set to "slave".
(right next to the ribbon cable, and the settings usually stamped right into the metal.)

Sorry, don't remember asking you about the bios . . . what about the pin placement ?
I'm sorry, I just assumed they must be set correctly as DVD/RW master and CD as slave. Bios shows that, and they worked properly under Windows XP. I can't presently see the pins without shutting down computer and removing cables. Is this necessary??
Anthrogue

Post by Anthrogue »

I was mistaken (misread bios) DVD/RW is slave & the CD drive is Master. Have also confirmed physical pin settings.
[installation asked for that config - CD top... DVD lower... MSI Motherbord cable also specifiying Master/Slave in this manner]

I put a Mint 8 disc in the CD and it cannot see the DVD/RW drive either. Again, a Bart-PE disc can see the drive... and it works under XP.
Really could use a clue on potential to get Mint 7 (or 8) to see/recognize this DVD/RW drive.

It's a Khypermedia drive. ...and khypermedia.com isn't there any more.. nor can I find the disc that came with it :(

I'm pretty new at Mint. XP crashed on an MS update... I heard how it was possible to run XP as virtual machine in a Linux host and love the idea. Love Mint so far, even with immediate problems with a Matrox card (which I replaced with Nvidia in order to actualize dual monitors). So I really want to get this to work. Otherwise, it seems I'll have to go for some dual boot mode just for when I want to use the DVD/RW drive via XP. Really rather go virtual machine for XP.... but time is an issue. I just figure there has to be some way for Mint to see and use the drive. Oh please be the case.
Anthrogue

Post by Anthrogue »

searching for related issues I came across two very similar. One unanswered.. the other not solving the problem here

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=38580

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=35229

However, though afraid to do it (because I'm not so smart about upshot of switch) I inverted master/slave determinations on the two DVD drives. The DVD/RW is now master. And now both drives appear in "Computer".. I should have just followed richyrich's suggestion without fear.

Both drives also appear running Mint 7 disc as boot. But.. booting from Mint 8 Helena, however, ...and even though Helena is running from the DVD/RW drive in question, it does not recognize two drives in "Computer" (i.e. seeing only the other DVD drive). This makes me afraid to install Helena.

Unwashed n00b that I am, I don't know if this will just go away on a full install of Mint 8

So, issue solved for Mint 7 current install. But if anyone can throw a clue brick at me regarding what might happen on full install of Helena, I'm definitely curious.
Anthrogue

Post by Anthrogue »

Well.... now odd difficulty trying to burn to disk. I dunno if a software or a hardware problem, hence...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 19#p236419

Return to “Hardware Support”