Helena searching for driver upon turning printer on

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikew57

Helena searching for driver upon turning printer on

Post by mikew57 »

I am running Helena 64bit Mint with a Canon MX850 attached by usb. I use Turboprint to print. It prints fine. The problem is that every time I turn the printer on, I get a missing driver message and a search for a driver commences. If I let it complete it's search and select the turboprint driver once it does not locate a driver, it installs a new printer. the same thing happens again the next time I turn the printer on. This is a new behavior since installing Helena. I can cancel out of the search and my existing printer installation works fine. It is just a small annoyance.

Another thing that I noticed is that sometimes there is a delay in printing while Helena acquires information from the printer.

I should mention that in Mint 7 32bit, the printer was installed as TP0?? In Mint 8 it was installed as Canon MX-850. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, the scanner now works great with both the simple scanner app that ships with Mint 8 and xsane.

Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: Helena searching for driver upon turning printer on

Post by MaddogF16 »

There's a start up process that searches for new hardware, maybe disable this process until you know you're adding a new piece of hardware.
mikew57

Re: Helena searching for driver upon turning printer on

Post by mikew57 »

MaddogF16 wrote:There's a start up process that searches for new hardware, maybe disable this process until you know you're adding a new piece of hardware.
That may be a good temporary solution. Thanks

Return to “Hardware Support”